Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For King and Empire Services Rendered

michaeldartnell

Hello,

My grandfather was released from duty in WWI for medical reasons unknown to me. I recently came across a pin of his, "For king and empire services rendered". A photo is attached. The number on the back of the pin is 339542. I understand that this might be traced to his release file. Is anyone here familiar with this pin or able to help me find the file? I have another pin for my grandmother's war service.

michael

post-49105-1260152697.jpg

Hi This number sometimes is traceable under the SWB card. Which you can find again sometimes find this SWB card on Ancestry .This card will have which reason he received it ,usually just a number.You would have better luck to put his name on the forum to find if this service record has survived . This Pin was awarded for usually one of 3 things being wounded and no longer able to fight .Or time expired he was two old to serve and or was unfit to serve any longer.

Under kings regulations there was a long list on reasons why a soldiers could receive one but the above three are the most common

MC

Hi This number sometimes is traceable under the SWB card. Which you can find again sometimes find this SWB card on Ancestry .This card will have which reason he received it ,usually just a number.You would have better luck to put his name on the forum to find if this service record has survived . This Pin was awarded for usually one of 3 things being wounded and no longer able to fight .Or time expired he was two old to serve and or was unfit to serve any longer.

Under kings regulations there was a long list on reasons why a soldiers could receive one but the above three are the most common

MC

Hi. His name was George Fotheringham and I think he was in the Argylls (not sure). I believe that he had rubella fever and was not expected to survive. The doctors advised my grandmother against marrying, saying he wouldn't last 3 months. He lived until he was 85.

m

This is his medal index card 10/11Highland light Infantry by the look of it

MC

post-50787-1260160415.jpg

I have found a pile of service records not his number but it would not be the first time ,a man enlisted with a different number and then was changed ,I would need to know where and when he was born to help

MC

Michael, your pin is known as the Silver War Badge. A list of men to whom it was issued was compiled, known as a roll. These rolls show date of enlistment, date and cause of discharge, and unit last served with. They also give the unique number stamped on the back. The rolls are not online, but can be accessed in the original at the National Archives.

I have found a pile of service records not his number but it would not be the first time ,a man enlisted with a different number and then was changed ,I would need to know where and when he was born to help

MC

George Fotheringham was born in Auchtermuchty, Scotland in 1893. Thanks for your help.

I have 3 at parish of Auchterdurran district of fife ??? and another medal index card to a argyll and sutherland highlander same name, it does start to get a bit complicated ,but will get there

MC

I have 3 at parish of Auchterdurran district of fife ??? and another medal index card to a argyll and sutherland highlander same name, it does start to get a bit complicated ,but will get there

MC

Birthplace is definitely Auchtermuchty, not Auchterdurran. I know he was living in Falkirk in 1916 and his family lived there before.

m

• 7 years later...

Eight years later here is the answer to the question in post one

Somebody had to look

The badge in post one belonged  to  not George Fotheringham but

Pte 7264 James Fotheringham enlisted 15/03/15 discharged  KR 392 xv1 (sickness)  19/2/18

Discharge unit 18th Bn R D C    aged 52

SWB number 339542

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
correcting typo