Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The German army from within.....

matthew lucas

not a book review..but does anyone know who wrote 'The German army from within by a British officer who has served in it' 1914?

many thanks

matt

many thanks

do you know anything about him?

matt

I really know nothing about the author but I have read the book and it was so bad that it did not produce a single reference for the Handbook of Imperial Germany. The author gets things confused and mixed up and is speaking about an older version of the Army that had 19 Army cops.

He gets titles, places, and concepts mixed up. I would be very cautious about using anything he say verbatim.

There is another book written in English in the 1930s I think, titled Mother Country, Fatherland. This was done by an Englishman named Martin and is really pretty interesting if you understand the system. This guy was obviously a way overprivileged aristocrat. Moving to central Europe for health reasons as a child he entered the German army in a Dragoon regiment as a Fahnenjunker. He rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel.

He is very self congratulating and tells this story throughout the war where he was a prisoner in Russia ( along with his batman). Later he was ransomed. By the end of the book you have no admiration for this man.

Joe,

I LOVE your book!

Paul