Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

admiralty salvage dept

perce620

does anyone know where I can get information on this unit,have a silver id disk to marine engineer E Turner but have never hear of the unit -hallmarks on the tag appear to be 1917( but could be later)asthey are quite worn. Tuerner lived at the dunes, Windsor avenue Gt Yarmouth(on the back of the disk0 as is the name Win(wife?) any help gratefully received

Perce

I am aware of two Admiralty Salvage Depots. One being at Fairlie in Ayrshire, Scotland and the second at Pembroke Dock in Wales. The second a 25-acre site still exists in a dual role as HM Mooring & Salvage Depot (HMSD) Pembroke Dock (dealing primarily nowadays with the refurbishment of buoys) and as HQ Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service (RMAS). Fairlie closed about two years ago. There may have been others.

Dave

Perce

A few years back I was in contact with a Grandson of a WW1 RN diver who had been part of the crew that dived HMS Vanguard very soon after she exploded at anchor at Scapa Flow in July 1917.

The diver concerned was Benjamin Barnes and the divers were sent to the wreck to recover bodies, sensitive material and gather evidence that would help explain the explosion. He was part of the diving team from HMS Imperieuse.

I thought this might be of interest

• 14 years later...

Is anyone aware of Captain J. Driver? He apparently led the work on the salvage of SS Leysian off Abercastle some tome after February 1917. As there was a salvage depot at Pembroke

it seems possible he was based there?

Edited by duncanross
update