Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rfn John McCOLL, 2 Royal Irish Rifles, KiA 5.5.16

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Remembering Today:

Rfn John McCOLL, 5736 2 Bn, Royal Irish Rifles, who died aged 25 on 05.05.16. Ecoivres Military Cemetery, France

Name: McCOLL, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 05/05/1916

Service No: 5736

Additional information: Son of Dugald and Elizabeth McColl, of 72, Parkmount St., Belfast. Native of Scotland.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. J. 8.

Cemetery: ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI

Born Greenock, Renfrew

Enlisted Belfast

Killed in Action

This is the first time I have looked at the casualties of this particular regiment - and I am, quite frankly, sickened at the losses that were sustained throughout the war.

On this particular day, it was relatively quiet (my words) with only three or four casualties. But it is apparent that 2 RIR were in a 'hot' area. The battalion was taking a steady stream of casualties every day.

I'd be interested to know just what the Rifles were up against. Anyone know....??

Am guessing here but they may have been in the vicinity of Mouse Trap Farm, Bellewaard Ridge at the time.. mounting casualties through a frontal attack

The photo shows Mouse Trap farm on the right a bit in the distance

John

post-1-1083795033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Have been away, but finally got a chance to check this. According to C. Falls (The history of the first seven battalions of the Royal Irish Rifles) the 2nd R.I.Rif. were "opposite Vimy ridge"...." On the night of the 5th, after the battalion had returned to the line, the Germans made no less than three attempts to reach and destroy our mine shafts at the point where its line joined that of the 11th Lancashire Fusiliers. Fierce fighting with the bomb ended with their eviction on each occoasion. The Battalion again lost heavily, having five killed and twelve wounded."

He says of May 1916 " The month's experience had been a trying one. The constant explosions were shattering to the nerves of the strongest men......And in this sort of trench warfare not only were losses very heavy, but they were largely composed of the best and most enterprising men".

No info on the opposition though.

Regards,

Liam.