Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fermoy Camp

JefR

I'm trying to follow my Dad's war service and I'm doing pretty well up to now thanks to invaluable help from the Forum, but like Oliver Twist "Please sir, can I have some more?".

His service records were destroyed but so far I've discovered that he landed in France on 5th April 1918 with the 51st Graduated Bn. Kings Liverpool Regt after eight months training, and two days later on 7th April 1918, he was one of a draft of 100 eighteen year olds posted to the 7th Norfolks. They joined the battalion at Henencourt (Somme) on 10th April.

I've identified them all but I'd like to find out more about their training.

The information that I've found places the 51st Bn KLR in FERMOY from Dec 1917 to Feb 1918 - that is confirmed by the service record of one of the draft which shows he was in Fermoy hospital with tonsilitis in Jan 1918.

They then went to YARMOUTH in Mar 1918.

Perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough, but I can't find anything substantial about Fermoy or Yarmouth - how big the camps were - what sort of training was done there - what units passed through them - etc.

Does anyone have any information?

Jef

Hello Jef,

I used to visit Fermoy each year on my fishing holidays and remember tales of it being a garrison town . The billets on the edge of town {Dublin side} were like shanty town for ages . If you Google www.fermoyireland it should lead you to a very good site which also has good military links in it . It also plays you an Irish tune whilst viewing ! If you have any trouble let me know as I have it saved as Favourite .

Regards

Alan

Hello Jef,

I used to visit Fermoy each year on my fishing holidays and remember tales of it being a garrison town . The billets on the edge of town {Dublin side} were like shanty town for ages . If you Google www.fermoyireland it should lead you to a very good site which also has good military links in it . It also plays you an Irish tune whilst viewing ! If you have any trouble let me know as I have it saved as Favourite .

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan

Apologies for the delayed reply - I found the website, and the home page is fine but none of the links work. I left it for a couple of days to see if it was a temporary glich but the site structure still seems to be broken. Never mind, my query was a long shot.

I'm a bit surprised though because it seems that Fermoy was quite a big training base that hasn't had much coverage on the Forum.

Most grateful for your response.

Jef

I believe Fermoy was also a R.F.C. Airfield as well,

from the mid 1920 up till the British pulled out of Ireland in the 1920's,

and handed over to the Irish military, its still in use, as far as I know.

Connaught Ranger. :D

Many thanks Dave & Connaught - It seems that Fermoy camp accommodated up to 10,000 troops in 1917/18 so it was a substantial size.

Jef

Many thanks Dave & Connaught - It seems that Fermoy camp accommodated up to 10,000 troops in 1917/18 so it was a substantial size.

Jef

I had the "pleasure" of being sent to Kilworth Camp in 1997, as "enemy" on a NCO's Standard Course

prior to my pre-discharge leave starting with over 21 years service.

I am sure the accommodation in Kilworth was the same as many of the British WW1 era veterans were used too.

Wooden Huts, (and some modern concrete Huts)

We went into Fermoy Military Barracks on a couple of occasions and if I recall correctly the corrugated

aircraft hanger, being used as a transport workshop was the original British structure.

Connaught Stranger :D

Hello,

Whilst sitting on the banks of the river in town in Fermoy a chap told me a tale of the British troops training on crossing river which is quite wide. They had a rope stretched from one side to the other and the soldiers had to make their way across fully laden by clinging onto rope . After a number had been successful it seemed the rope had stretched and the next few when they got to half way found themselves in the fast deep water and were getting swept away . A local man { known as the village idiot ! } raised the alarm and managed to save a few but alas a few were also drowned . The 'local idiot ' was to become a bit of a hero then , apart from staunch republicans , and a lesson in rope techniques was learnt .

Regards

Alan