Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beyond Nancy

I am going to ride a bike the length of the western front in June 2005 to raise money for a childrens hospice. The problem I have is where did the front go after Nancy, I have tried but cannot find any maps to show me where the front went after Nancy or where it finished on the Swiss border, can anyone help.

You might consider reading "Back to the Front" by Stephen O'Shea. He walked the Front, but in his books he does have some good general maps. Although you will still need to get teh Michelen series to supplement. Andy

Some hate the book and as military history it's crap but... a lot is funny and it is helpful to a 1st timer covering the whole front as I did in 97, in paperback these days.

Once you see the 1st cemetery near Nieuwpoort, follow those!

I can't give you the whole thing, but if you look on the Michelin Maps you will find a marking 'GR5'. This is the long distance path that goes from the Hook of Holland right down into Italy.

To pick it up most easily go slightly west of Pont à Mousson and find Bois le Pretre and the GR5 runs through that. It then goes south and swings east through Vic sur Seille (go to the museum there. Splendid exhibition of Gregoire de Tour - who came from there. His paintings are marvellous). Then Marsal, near Sarrebourg (see the Chagal stained glass window and tapestry).

It more or less follows the front across Lorraine and into the Vosges.

There is a map which shows in some detail all the long distance footpaths across France. i don't have the detail here, but it is produced by the French IGN.

I lived in Nancy for over a year, it is one of the gems of Eastern France. I don't know about the front line, but the town itself is steeped in history.

The highlight must surely be the magnificent Place Stanislas IMHO one of the most beautiful squares in Europe, at the end of the Esplanade Gambetta is a memorial to the members of the Resistance killed by the Nazi's, and there are still bullet holes in the wall from the firing squads.

If you are feeling flush there is a superb restaurant called the Tollanda on Avenue Foch.....expensive but well worth it.

I am most jealous, if someone said I could go back and live there again, I would be off like a shot.

You are of course close to Verdun, but I hope you have strong legs, because it's bl***y hilly round there!

Have a great trip.

If I were walking or cycling in the Vosges I would use the IGN ‘Top 25’ maps for their excellent detail. 1:25000. You will need those which cover the Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges and surrounding areas

Club Vosgien might have some helpful information:

http://www.club-vosgien.com

(Turn your sound off unless the incessant sound of woodpeckers does something for you.)

I know that someone, which may be Club Vosgien, [CV] has way-marked and signed various parts of the Front up in the Vosges and if you like, I will find out who did it. I can also find out about cycle routes, I think.

Matt's right. It is gasp-makingly steep on a bike. Most cyclists look as if they are about to expire.

I have (not deliberately) walked part of at least one of the CV routes which follows the front line trenches near le Linge, up and round the edge of Barrenkopf. Their little route indicator signs are extremely useful in high terrain which is often steep, heavily forested and rock strewn. The Vosges are not Flanders. It can be very very lonely up there and even creepy.

Club Vosgien also has information on refuges which I would imagine are essential in the Vosges with its unpredictable weather. If it’s wet or foggy up there it can last for days, and it can be bitterly cold even when the Rhine plain is steamingly hot.

I think I would also acquire information on fermes auberges in tbe mountains. They offer farm accommodation and also regional meals for passing visitors at a very appealing price, often served up outside, when it’s warm enough, in their gardens – a simple dining room with the most stupendous views in the whole world. The sort of high calorific casseroles and tartes which you will burn off again in the next ten minutes of shivering.

However, it is stunningly beautiful, with amazing views, few visitors (especially few British) and you come across front line discoveries which you think you’re the first person ever to have seen. If you’re also into wildlife, there are mountain creatures like shy chamois and red squirrels and mountain hares, as well as soaring birds of prey. As a place to end your long march / ride, it couldn’t be more perfect.

(Maybe you can tell I’m addicted to Alsace. I’ve a head full of stuff if you need it.)

Gwyn

if someone said I could go back and live there again, I would be off like a shot.

Oh, envy, envy, envy....

I plan on living in the wine villages, myself, when I have made my fortune.. hem hem.

Misty eyed Gwyn.

You may want to go as far east as Mulhouse which French captured twice in 14, was German Alsace then, they held German territory for the entire war centered on Thann. Marco Hoveling's site An Unfortunate Region has much on Vosges.