Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Bombardier Peter Wilson no.1491

andrewjherring

I'm posting this as a new topic in the hope that the wider forum community might be able to help me!

My Great-Grandfather served with the 3rd Devonshire Battery, 4th Wessex Brgde, RFA - Peter Wilson: Bombardier (Regmnt No. 1491) - but I have no further details except that Peter embarked with the 4th Bgde in c.12 Dec 1914; and remained in India until c.18 May 1916 when he was discharged (he had been with the Territorial Force in Glasgow since Mar 1910).

As an aside, I can't work out why he would have been discharged from miltary service in 1916 considering the war was very much in full swing? - he had no injuries and had not been declared unfit for service...

Any info would be greatly appreciated on the movements of this Battery / Brigade, and on Peter himself?

Andrew Herring

Andrew,

I have had a look at his MIC and he only qualified for the BWM.

There is a note on the back of the MIC where the OIC submitted an application for his Territorial Efficiency Medal on 2 June 1924. The address at the bottom of the card is 78th Lowland Field Brigade, R.A. (T.A.)

Peter may have discharged in 1916 as he may have been part of the Derby Scheme. This was a scheme set up where Territorials signed up for a specific time frame and when that came to an end they were returned home and discharged from the forces.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Andy.

• 11 months later...

I have the Record of the Third Devonshire Battery (Tavistock), Fourth Brigade, of the RFA (TF) in the Great War 1914-1919 and there is no Peter Wilson listed on the nominal roll of those from the battery who were on active service. Regards, Dick Flory