Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captured Great War Artillery

ph0ebus

A fine set of memorials. Good to see that they get regular maintenance. Most towns and villages in the UK had German pieces prior to WW2 when the vast majority went for scrap.

Old Tom

Great pics Daniel. A few more comments, the British 4.5 inch is on a late 1920's early 30's carriage that was designed to be towed by a tracked gun tractor called a Dragon, the pneumatic tyres were part of the standard equipment. The barrel appears to have a section sawn off. The Italian 7.5 cm. was probably converted to the later wheels by the italians themselves, they even equipped their trucks and armoured cars with the same type of wheels up to the early forties. The pack howitzer was still in use during WW2 in the Burmese jungle and used by both sides! The Japanese produced their own version under licence, the origional design dates back to the Victorian era.

Hi Phil, all...

I have a particular fondness for the Locust Valley Gun, which I know well:

Picture_557-300x216.jpg

Picture_559-296x212.jpg

German 77mm C96Na - located in front of the Locust Valley Library, Buckram Rd. - Long Island, NY.

Gun is marked Fr. KP. gef 1898 abg. 1907 No 3154. Condition is very poor.

I wonder if this gun is restorable and how much something like that would cost. Perhaps Fat Frank can give us a free estimate? :)

How would one go about finding out the history of this gun? I would not even know where to begin....I have emailed the library to see what they can tell me, and I will share what I find with the rest of the class.

Also, the next time I am in that area I will take some better pictures and post them here.

-Daniel

Hi all,

Since this AM I found the following site, whose information gave me pause:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canon....html#Allemagne

It is a list of apparently all surviving WWI Artillery...this gun is on the list. I also am a bit distressed by the following info:

Number of this type of gun built: 5086

Presently: only 44 examples left worldwide

The Locust Valley Gun is one of only 8 in USA.

And, can it be true that there is only one of these in all of the UK?

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canon...6nALincoln.html

-Daniel

Daniel. There probably used to be dozens of German guns in the UK up until about 1940/41 when most of them sucumbed to scrap metal drives. Also scrapped were many British tanks of GW origion. Many reasonably sized towns and villages had such weapons on display. There was even a commitee set up to distribute guns ecetera to those who wanted them.

Daniel. There probably used to be dozens of German guns in the UK up until about 1940/41 when most of them sucumbed to scrap metal drives. Also scrapped were many British tanks of GW origion. Many reasonably sized towns and villages had such weapons on display. There was even a commitee set up to distribute guns ecetera to those who wanted them.

Next time they start handing out artillery pieces, you can sign me up. :)

No reply from the library yet, or the local historical society.

Now, here's a fellow that might be worth talking to if the library decides to start a restoration project:

http://www.lovettartillery.com/7.7cm_leich...n_A_(1917).html

If for no other reason, visit the above for the great period photographs.

-Daniel

Hi all,

Fantastic news about the Locust Valley Gun, from the Locust Valley Historical Society:

"A restoration is planned for 2010 led by the Matinecock Neighborhood Association. I'll be in on Thursday and will send you some more information at that time. "

Updates as they occur! I am so happy to hear the gun and related memorial won't be a wreck for the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice.

-Daniel

A bit more info about this gun:

A plaque with the gun gives the following history:

"Captured German Cannon presented by the French Government to Henry P. Davidson, Chairman of the American Red Cross War Council and By Him Donated to the Residents of Locust Valley, L.I. To Be Preserved As A Memorial Of Their Patriotic Sacrifices, Services, And Contributions During The World War. 1917-1919."

Per a book about the life of Mr. Davidson, he was given three of these guns by the French Government; the second 77 mm gun went to Troy, Pennsylvania in 1920 and was melted down in the scrap drives of WWII. The third gun I have not been able to locate...yet.

Per an Oswego NY newspaper from 1920, "Over 2,417 heavy guns were captured and 10,000 machine guns." These were all distributed to the states as follows:

"Congress has decided to apportion captured German war material though congressmen to their districts, in proportion to the number of men furnished in the war."

I also found a short film on You Tube of the parade on Memorial Day 1920 in which the surviving 77mm gun is presented to the town. The description of the film:

This is rare footage captures the events of a very special Memorial Day in 1920 for the citizens of Cornwall, a small town in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains in New York. Pierre Lecomte du Nouy, a French Captain and famous French philosopher, travels to Cornwall from France in order to present the city with a captured German cannon from World War I. This was a special honor, and it was in thanks for the role America played in ridding France of the German threat during the war. Surrounded by Civil War veterans, WWI veterans, and the towns various bands and schoolchildren, Pierre Lecomte du Nouy accompanies the cannon in a parade through town ending in the place where a monument and the cannon still stand to this day.

-Daniel

Hi all,

Since this AM I found the following site, whose information gave me pause:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canon....html#Allemagne

It is a list of apparently all surviving WWI Artillery...this gun is on the list. I also am a bit distressed by the following info:

Number of this type of gun built: 5086

Presently: only 44 examples left worldwide

The Locust Valley Gun is one of only 8 in USA.

And, can it be true that there is only one of these in all of the UK?

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canon...6nALincoln.html

-Daniel

Hi

I am the owner of that website, and it never has been my intention to cause distress ! ;)

So let me give you a reason to hope : this is a list of all surviving WW1 Artillery THAT I KNOW AND WHOSE I GOT PICTURES ! That list is ever growing, and if you consider it currently accounts for around 650 guns, and that I have a backlog of 50 guns to post, my guess is that the total inventory is probably around 3000 - 4000 pieces....

Everyone's contribution will be more than welcome... !

Frriendly

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

The site is great...and the comments above make me feel a bit better. :)

If I stumble across anything of interest I will keep you in mind.

-Daniel

Bernard,

A very good site indeed...I have added to my favourites...thanks.

I dont know of similar guns in the UK. As mentioned earlier most were turned into scrap and recycled during WW11. Shame really but in times of need!!

I have seen some nice pieces in France but not maintained and slowly succumbing to the elements, including those at Belleau Wood.

Well done again.

Regards

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Locust Valley Gun restoration project...the wheels (what is left of them) are being sent to the Amish for an estimate for restoration/repair. Current estimate for a basic restoration of the gun itself starts at 7K. Depending on how far they want to go they may do a fundraiser to meet the cost.

I am going to try and get over there to take more photos and speak with the staff...perhaps when there is not two feet of snow on the ground! :blink:

-Daniel

Hi all,

I found an old photo showing two WWI cannons...the picture is not great but I was wondering if you recognized the type of cannon shown:

Smithtown3.jpg

I am trying to track them down; at one point they were part of a War Memorial on Long Island.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, and Happy Holidays....

-Daniel

• 1 month later...
Guest michael6367

Hey everyone, this is Mike the creator of the www.doughboyofnyc.com site. Thanks for the comments some of you have made. I am responding to a conversation that I saw on page 3 from 2 months ago regarding captured artillery and more specifically the 77mm C96. As far as I can tell there are more than 8 in the US. In fact I plan to visit 3 more that I have located that are accessible to me. They are located in Peekskill NY, Groton CT and Newburyport Mass. I believe the total number of these guns in the US number somewhere in the high teens. For those of you, especially if you live in the US or Canada, write to Dick Pope in Alabama. I placed his address on my site! He has been maintaing a list of any WW1 era artillery/cannon/mortar that still exist in the 2 countries and the list has over 1000 entries! Its not a complete list either, I personally have sent him pics of over a dozen guns he had no idea about. The majority of the entries on the list are US manufactured tubes however there are still many Allied and Axis pieces. The highest concentration is in the northeast - particullary Mass. CT and NJ. Thats how I found the Locust Valley 77mm. Dick also had a list of guns he wasnt sure existed anymore and after checking it I saw he had listed a 77cm German mortar in a town thats five miles from my weekend job in NJ. Sure enough I went looking for it and found this clean gun in a roadside park in Allendale NJ. I have a pic of it on page 1 on my guns of the great war pages. My point is you never know what may be close. I encourage you to send him a self addressed envelope and request his list. You might be surprised to find one close to you and if so make the effort to go and photograph it and send your pics to Bernard or the Landships site. I am glad to hear they are restoring it! It was really turning into a train wreck!

I will be taking trips this spring up to New England - Boston/NewPort and down to Baltimore and plan to visit the sites of several more guns which include another British 60pounder located in a Baltimore MD suburb. It sits in a cemetary! Check back my doughboys site in a couple of months for some new pics! Bernard I will send you larger version snaps for your site.

I would upload some photos to this site however the size limit is 100K and my photos are larger than that.

I would upload some photos to this site however the size limit is 100K and my photos are larger than that.

You could always host them on photobucket or some such image site and post the link here.

Chris

Hey everyone, this is Mike the creator of the www.doughboyofnyc.com site.

Hi Mike, and welcome!

Glad to hear there are more examples of GW artillery still about. Re: the two cannons I asked about previously, it appears they (whatever they are) are now located at Hoyt Farm on Long Island, and are in the process of undergoing restoration. I pinged them for an update and have gotten no response to date. Would still love to know what they are.

FYI, the Locust Valley gun and memorial is slated for a full resto, last I heard, which I am very pleased to hear about. Keep up the good work!!

-Daniel

Guest michael6367

Daniel - thanks for the comments. Good news about the Locust Valley Gun. It was in quite bad shape when I visited it last May. First off after looking at your picture those 2 guns look to me like US made 37mm's. There are 2 that I know of in New Jersey and they look quite similiar. The US 37's were not used in WW1 as far as I know. The american forces ended up using the french made 37, one of which is located in Aberdeen MD. This past weekend I took a count on Dick Pope's WW1 Artillery survey and I counted 31 German C96 77mm's located in the US. 1 of the guns was double counted (the one in Peekskill NY) and for a couple of them he listed them but either said he had no photo or for 2 others he wrote next to the entry that it either needed to be researched or for the one located in Valley Forge PA he wrote - missing?. So there are at least 25 or so documented with photographs of the Locust Valley type gun that exist in the US. I did not see any non US WW1 era guns listed as being located on Long Island (except for the Locust Valley gun) however he has a German FK16 listed in Brooklyn. I wrote to Dick last year and he sent me a picture and location of it so maybe this year ill get a chance to go out there again and check it out.

Perhaps I should post my pics of flicker. I recently sent Bernard original pics to to replace the ones he took from my site to use on his website. I havent heard from him yet but hopefully he has the time to replace the smaller pics from the doughboy site.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Phil, all...

I have a particular fondness for the Locust Valley Gun, which I know well:

...........Perhaps Fat Frank can give us a free estimate? :)

The big work is in the wheels, we have few wheel wrights remaining. Of course our Rand is weak but an estimate on a gun of this type would be about USD 2 500 should you wish to expose the brass/bronze. We are rethinking this as it is then exposed to being stolen. We only do so on guns that are under some sort of protection.

If not you could knock off about USD 300 or so.

We have an application into our Lotto to fund a restortaion workshop. The cost to the owner will then only be the transport, we will do the work for free, and that would be about USD 1 500 complete for both ways. The paperwork is always an issue but we are OK with "friendly" countries. A bit more of a problem from countries on any sort of "list"

I think the estimate of 44 surviving FK 96s is an underestimate - Bernard's database is light on the Australian guns. I've found 7 in Queensland alone and Qld only received about

15% of the Australian war trophies in 1921/22. There are more FK 96s in Qld but they aren't on public display and consequently more difficult to find.

The current listing, with images and in some cases walkarounds can be seen at www.ammsbrisbane.com/documentation.htm. This is an interim website and will be merged into a national

website when that gets up.

There are also a fair number of surviving FK 16s and the related (to the FK 96) 7.5cm Turkish Krupp M1903/1909/1911 guns in Australia - only a single FK 16 but at least 6 M03s in Qld.

The gun at the start of the thread looks eminently restorable. For an example of a recently restored gun brought back from a wreck try www.ammsbrisbane.com/reference/Feldkanone.html - the unrestored gun image is at the bottom of the walkaround.

Regards,

Charlie

Eidt: The easiest way I've found to get images of guns and details to Bernard Plumier is to e-mail them to his blog - http://canonspgmww1guns.canalblog.com. It's in French

but Google translate can handle that. The blog admin e-mail is: webmaster@passioncompassion1418.com.

This might be a challenge....

There is a Krupp M1903 outside the American Legion Post 74 in Modesto, California. This is an unusual gun to turn up in the US since many of the captured M03s were

used by the Turkish Army in Palestine and were captured there. I've seen it misidentified as an FK 96 but it clearly is an M03. I've seen a very similar gun at Stanthorpe,

Queensland (www.ammsbrisbane.com/documentation/m03_6.html). I'd like to get the serial no. / build date form the Modesto gun to compare with the Stanthorpe gun -

they may be from the same production batch. Any ideas how i could get this - Legion Post 74 doesn't seem to know about e-mail.

Attached a couple of images of the Modesto gun.

Regards,

Charlie

post-53787-1268092847.jpg

post-53787-1268092860.jpg

This might be a challenge....

There is a Krupp M1903 outside the American Legion Post 74 in Modesto, California. This is an unusual gun to turn up in the US since many of the captured M03s were

used by the Turkish Army in Palestine and were captured there. I've seen it misidentified as an FK 96 but it clearly is an M03. I've seen a very similar gun at Stanthorpe,

Queensland (www.ammsbrisbane.com/documentation/m03_6.html). I'd like to get the serial no. / build date form the Modesto gun to compare with the Stanthorpe gun -

they may be from the same production batch. Any ideas how i could get this - Legion Post 74 doesn't seem to know about e-mail.

Attached a couple of images of the Modesto gun.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie - they have a phone number :

1001 S. Santa Cruz Ave.

Modesto , CA 95354

(209) 522-7474

If I get a moment tomorrow I'll try and give them a ring.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The time zone difference and Australian accent make phoning the US a bit problematic.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

We have now been given 5 more guns to refurbish. Start Tuesday. (Monday is a holiday here).

I will start another post under this Forum. Keep them peeled.