Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lithgow 1916 ShtLE

machodr

Please help. I own a 1916 Lithgow ShtLE. Nose cap is bad, what type should I replace it? Sights are stamped 42, then I suppose it is a ww 2 production. Again - what type is replaced? Thank you for any comments to photos, which I attach.

post-35019-1259768459.jpg

post-35019-1259768569.jpg

post-35019-1259768622.jpg

Hi

Looks to be in great condition.

You are correct - the foresight protector is a later Australian type (perforated both for lightness and to allow more light to fall on the blade of the sight) - the rifle would originally have been fitted with a solid one.

I'll post a picture of the various types when I get home later.

The later rear sight is probably identical to what was originally fitted so visually this will not change (although the original MAY have been windage adjustable)

What is stamped ont he side of the butt? I suspect it is a serial number and a date? (probably indicating the date it was refinished - FTR)

I have to say I have mixed feelings about things like this - the foresight protector is quite correct for a refinished rifle. It is an Australian pattern and the refinishing is part of the rifle's long service history (May well have been is service until the 60s or longer) - but it would not have been as originally issued. So the dilemma is do you return the rifle to original specs and ignore the later service, or keep it the same?

My solution is to look for another rifle that is original and have both!! :D:lol:

(you could have a look at the other thread started by coppertales currently running for other relevant info)

At work at the mo' but will post pictures when I get home unless someone beats me to it!

Chris

Nice rifle you have there. The cocking knob on the rear of the bolt is the later style, must have been changed at a later date. Does your bolt serial number match the receiver? Is there any information stamped on the unit disc on the butt stock? My rifle does not have one. You can never have too many Enfields. They are like Mosin Nagants, so many variations will put you in the poor house trying to have one of each.....chris3

The rear sight - although of later manufacture is of the third variation and may well have been of the type fitted originally - the other possibility would be the second variation windage adjustable type.

The cocking piece too may have been fitted originally as I believe the the simplified (slab sided) pattern was approved in Jan 1916. As Chris3 suggests it is more likely this was fitted later - at the same time the foresight protector was replaced (this style of foresight protector was manufactured from @1944-53 and was frequently retrofitted to rifles still in service at that point)

Here are some pictures of other styles of foresight protector the most common and the type that would orginally have been fitted to your rifle is arrowed. Those below it are various later Indian variants.

post-14525-1259817404.jpg

Your rifle appears to have interesting "intermediate" or transitional wood as it looks like it is cut at the rear to accomodate the rear peep of the volley site but is not shaped for the front volley sight base - this is an interesting variation.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for comments. The barrel - is marked viz. photo below. Target on it only has the manufacturer's mark, service number on it is not. Wood for the entire weapon is obviously with the exception of sanding the upper part the sights. The receiver is even marked with an arrow, then I reckon that it is not an Australian production. I see that any "reconstruction" to the state from 1916 would be somewhat more difficult :-))

post-35019-1259838332.jpg

I learn something new every day on this forum. I did not know the slab side cocking piece was approved so early. The one on my 1916 BSA may be correct. It was the finish color that lead me to believe yours had been changed at a later date. That is how I suspected the barrel on my rifle had been replaced and it was in 8/44. Thus, the like new bore. I don't mind because I like all my rifles to be good shooters. I have to see if my butt stock has the cutout for the volley sight like yours. If only these old rifles could talk.....chris3

The rifle is like so many one finds that incorporate a wide range of features and are III/III* hybrids.

That one has Mark III features with a cut-off slot, lightening cuts on rearsight protectors and woodwork cut for the rear volley sight, yet as Chris pointed out it has no volley sight pointer cut, it has the non windage rear sight and other III* features.

Surely it must have started out as a normal Mark III if it is a 1916 Lithgow, or is it one of those difficult ones where a previously dated receiver was used?

Regards

TonyE