Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caterpillar Valley

KIRKY

:D

Hi On my next trip to THe Somme I want to walk the lenght of Caterpillar Valley.

So where does it start and end and can anyone let me know at which points there would have been artillery placed?

Also is it possible to enter Catterpillar Wood? Anything to see in there?

Hi Kirky

Caterpillar Wood is situated on a very steep incline. You can see evidence of shell holes etc within the wood. However there are a lot of camouflaged hides scattered about the slopes that are used by Hunters and their shotguns.

When I walked it last year we started from Longueval and took the road that goes behind Caterpillar Valley cemetery and leads to Quarry Cemetery.

Quarry Cemetery is the far end of the valley. We then walked along the edge of a field down the valley, the same route as the railway would have run, as seen on a trench map.

So far down we entered Caterpillar Wood and went up the slope and then walked along the edge of a field on the top of the slope. This finally brought us out at the Red Dragon Memorial. From there we then walked up Death Valley past Flat Iron Copse Cemetery before hitting the main road that took us back to Longueval.

I will sort out a map, later on, and put on some approx positions where various Brigade HQ's were situated and the 33rd Div Artillery batteries also.

Regards

Terry