Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medals cost

mags43

Problem is that the cost of scrap metal has gone through the roof and like in the 80s when medals were being melted down for there scrap value in the bucket full, people forgot there real value and history and sacrifice that british medals are awarded for?, I remember when you could pick up a nice MM group or MC group from between 55 and 120 quid from a dealer not Ebay?

Is this a response to another post, because I don't understand what is being said. It ends with a question mark, but I can't figure out what the question is. Care to explain?

Problem is that the cost of scrap metal has gone through the roof and like in the 80s when medals were being melted down for there scrap value in the bucket full, people forgot there real value and history and sacrifice that british medals are awarded for?, I remember when you could pick up a nice MM group or MC group from between 55 and 120 quid from a dealer not Ebay?

The ? was just say Ebay is a auction and I think over the years as a keen medal collector, over the last few years the price of medals have been pushed up in price by investers not collectors.

yes to a large point l would agree MC

As an important after thought any serious medal collector is an investor, anyway when ever i buy a group 19/20 times i am thinking how much chance do i have of at least breaking even on a sale in say 5 years down the track ,of course that does nor allow for the joy of having the medals(history in your hand along the way ) and the research you do over the time. You are only the custodian of the medals very important ,you keep his mans life alive ..ie he IS never forgotten :closedeyes: :closedeyes:

MC

Currently the "Price" of any British Medal will far outweigh any commercial scrap vaue,so in that context I dont see a problem,however this does not allow for the "Send Your Valuables To Us In a Jiffy Bag & We'll Send You Our Valuation" syndrome of gullability of some of the GBP,who believe every thing they see on TV until it bites them on the Bum!

Whilst virtually all collectors hope to see a return on their investment,eventually, few, if any, would consider they collect for purely financial reasons,as with any collectable {or for that matter any investment} values go up as well as down as we are frequently informed.To expect an immediate profit would suggest little understanding of the hobby ~ most hobbies "Cost" with no expectation of reward,Any collection has the added bonus that it can be readily converted to a cash sum,however not always at a mark up.The pure enjoymenty of being the custodian for as many years as it is,of a tangible piece of Military History & what it represents,surely has its own rewards....

From my limited experience those who sought to "invest" in the Medal Market in the 1970s & 80s came away with rather sore burnt fingers...

Currently the "Price" of any British Medal will far outweigh any commercial scrap vaue,so in that context I dont see a problem,however this does not allow for the "Send Your Valuables To Us In a Jiffy Bag & We'll Send You Our Valuation" syndrome of gullability of some of the GBP,who believe every thing they see on TV until it bites them on the Bum!

Whilst virtually all collectors hope to see a return on their investment,eventually, few, if any, would consider they collect for purely financial reasons,as with any collectable {or for that matter any investment} values go up as well as down as we are frequently informed.To expect an immediate profit would suggest little understanding of the hobby ~ most hobbies "Cost" with no expectation of reward,Any collection has the added bonus that it can be readily converted to a cash sum,however not always at a mark up.The pure enjoymenty of being the custodian for as many years as it is,of a tangible piece of Military History & what it represents,surely has its own rewards....

From my limited experience those who sought to "invest" in the Medal Market in the 1970s & 80s came away with rather sore burnt fingers...

Yes but at least you had a much bigger selection to buy back then my best groups now came from late 80s when i thought they were expensive then .These days to all intentions trying to find a triple gallantry award is impossible ,like the DCM and MM and bar trio above I have been after that combination for at least 10 years

MC

Has a DCM MM and bar group come up at all in the last 10 years? I'm just wondering what kind of market value such a group is estimated to have nowadays. I guess some of it will depend on the unit, but on the other hand the rarity of the combination will also have a lot to do with it. I haven't looked at all the similar posts on the forum about this area but I guess there cannot be too many men having been awarded that group? Has anyone done a survey of museums with them? No doubt a percentage of such gallantry awards would be attractive to museums and once in their hands unlikely to ever see the open market again?

ttfn

Matt

Has a DCM MM and bar group come up at all in the last 10 years? I'm just wondering what kind of market value such a group is estimated to have nowadays. I guess some of it will depend on the unit, but on the other hand the rarity of the combination will also have a lot to do with it. I haven't looked at all the similar posts on the forum about this area but I guess there cannot be too many men having been awarded that group? Has anyone done a survey of museums with them? No doubt a percentage of such gallantry awards would be attractive to museums and once in their hands unlikely to ever see the open market again?

ttfn

Matt

I think that there has been some valid points I started collecting medals 30 years ago with my Dad and the Quality & Quantity of Regts & Corps and galantry groups were more avalible then than they are now.

The cost of British & Commonwealth medal, prices still had a wide price range dependend on what you wanted to collect or could afford or how much you could have on Save Away plan?

where I think today the price range has narrowed due to publications of the medal year book on a personnel I enjoyed the original Gordens Book,

And the Idea put forward in these publications that a service mans medals is more valiable If he is killed on the 1st day of the Somme than if he was Killed on the second Day or that he survived the whole Campiagn or War.

As another member said there is a cost but I feel that there are people who do look at medals as a pure Investment as over the years I have watch on ebay where medals have been bought and re-sold with in a few months, or purchased by Dealers and end up in catologues very much inflated in price.

I would like to think that a Medal collector knows as much about the Man or Women and the reasons and history behind the medal than about the medal it self.

There are many many more collectors than there were 30 years ago and potentially every collector can be a dealer whats the problem with that, I would rather buy off a long term collector than many dealers. Theres no point in harking back to the old days, yes you could get an MM trio for 40 - 50 quid but I still couldn't afford it, they may well as been 400. Since I have been able to spend relatively large amounts I have also taken advantage of ebay and made some quite spectacular amounts of money, I would have got a fraction of that from a dealer. If anyone ios daft enough to buy a MM and trio for 800 quid then more fool them, and if you want one, then get a longer paper round.

E-Bay (and other sites) and the internet has also opened up the "marketplace" considerably. Long gone are the days of collectors dropping into their local "coin shop" and only seeing the local medals that were traded and sold back and forth among small overlapping groups of collectors. A listing on e-Bay reaches collectors around the world, and sees medals moving not only from their local areas where they've been for decades, but also sees medals returning home to localities and families; a feat that would seldom have happened with such speed or regularity in decades before. The balance of supply, demand and accessibility has changed significantly, with many more collectors able to pursue the same medals as they come up for sale between collectors. That demand drives the market, and prices.

Also with regard to the price of medals, there are many factors affecting price. I wish the latest MM and trio added to my collection of medals to my own regiment had come to me for only 800 quid. For those British Army regiments that had multiple front line battalions, such groups may seem relatively common. But for a Regiment which fielded a single battalion, resulting in only 136 MM recipients (and not all of those entitled to a trio to start with), such groups are significantly more rare, and more expensive. (Being the only Permanent Force infantry battalion in the CEF adds another measure of desireability, and increase.)

as above i have seen about 5 triple gallantry awards in abour 5 years but none in a dealers list ,And myself hate auctions as it only on the better stuff just pushes up the prices .For me i want (haha) to see in a dealers list dcm and bar ,mm 15 trio to Fred Burke 5/RF 8000 pounds i click on buy now and pay its mine ,then i wake up im dreaming and realize that even at very high prices it does not matter if there are none around the money does not count ,also as above at a guess 50% of really good stuff with families ,25% museums and 25% with collectors ,does not leave much scope .I collect ultimately as its my passion the investment is secondary ,but it does come into the equation .Double gallantry is really hard to get so much so that if on a list or inside info comes my way i will buy double gallantry ,pretty well all the time and eat baked beans for next 6 months ...well you get what im on about ...never mind a triple or quad .if you do not buy one of those you more than likely at this day and age will be wanting a very,very long time for the next one to come around if ever .

cheers MC

Hi All

The last time I was in India two years ago I was fortunate to be introduced to a old gentleman who

had amassed a amazing collection of medals.

Apparently it had been started by his father while serving in the Indian army and continued by him

into the early 1960,s

Although I know little regarding the collecting of medals I have a good knowledge of the conflicts

of the eighteenth through to the twentieth century.

I spoke of the first world war and he showed me D.S.O,s and D.C.M,s. I spoke of the Africian wars,

Crimea,Afgan, Indian Mutiny and many others. He had them all.

Knowing that a medal had been awarded for Waterloo I though I would be smart and ask him if he had one.

Another box appeared and he presented it along with others dating back into the 1790,s.

I left his flat a few hours later knowing it was something I would not see again in a private collection.

He had insisted that they were all genuine, something that I could not argue with.

My point is that this man was not wealthy but astute and had purchased these at a time

when a common person could collect todays museum pieces.

This is something that can not be achieved today.

Mick

27thBN

It might interest you to know in the latest eMedals catalogue there is a MC and DCM group, but it is missing the war medals. Such a shame. His unit must be quite rare. West Riding RFA Territorial Force battery. [not connected to sale, just spotted it today]

Many thanks for the insight into what people look for and why.

Hi and Thanks for the heads up on the MC,DCM .Its a strange old hobby medal collectors are in .What you are after is so hard to find (these days)and when you do find what you are after you have to try and convince the wife that 5 medals are worth the price of a really good second hand car ,very difficult ,especially if you see something you really have been after you really need to get a move on to get it before somebody else does ie but only after a 10 minutes quick research session .But its the chase that's part of the thrill a bit like being after the ladies, when we all were younger..alas ..MC :D :D :D

Hi and Thanks for the heads up on the MC,DCM .Its a strange old hobby medal collectors are in .What you are after is so hard to find (these days)and when you do find what you are after you have to try and convince the wife that 5 medals are worth the price of a really good second hand car ,very difficult ,especially if you see something you really have been after you really need to get a move on to get it before somebody else does ie but only after a 10 minutes quick research session .But its the chase that's part of the thrill a bit like being after the ladies, when we all were younger..alas ..MC :D:D:D

I have enjoyed our little spill about this subject and there has been some really valid points about what medal collectors feel about paying medal prices, even when you really can,t afford it? I now myself it has given me a great hobby which I have been able to share the history of my family & ordinary people and what they did and attained in there life time with friends & my kids.

I have only one regret that although I have all the paper work and diaries of my Grandfathers father-in-law MM& Bar MSM,QSA,KSA 14 star trio Sgt Oleary 1st & 3rd Mons Regt WW1 his medals were missing, they were probably put in a hooky shop years ago? And if they ever came to light I am not sure what I would do?. I dont think the wife and kids would like eating beans on toast for Years

I have enjoyed our little spill about this subject and there has been some really valid points about what medal collectors feel about paying medal prices, even when you really can,t afford it? I now myself it has given me a great hobby which I have been able to share the history of my family & ordinary people and what they did and attained in there life time with friends & my kids.

I have only one regret that although I have all the paper work and diaries of my Grandfathers father-in-law MM& Bar MSM,QSA,KSA 14 star trio Sgt Oleary 1st & 3rd Mons Regt WW1 his medals were missing, they were probably put in a hooky shop years ago? And if they ever came to light I am not sure what I would do?. I dont think the wife and kids would like eating beans on toast for Years

lots of different beans on the shelf and spaghetti MC

Part of the problem - a large part no doubt, would be persuading the collector who had the medals you wanted, to actually part with them.

Or does re-uniting of medals have many more happy stories than get reported? Probably worth a new thread! I was just wondering because I've put wanted info all sorts of places and never heard a thing, even with a general call for medals to family names. I wondered if it was due to perceved values or investors waiting long term.

I do wonder if re-uniting will be more common in say 20 or 30 years time, when the long term older collectors who don't care a hoot about the web have their medals sold off etc. Its starting to happen already with militaria generally I think, as the WW2 generation's kit ends up in house clearances or at sales, some of their ancestors things that they hoarded are also coming out too.

The house clearance value end of the market is more my thing than gallantry groups though - so my wife and daughters advise me! :D

Regards

Matt

...I do wonder if re-uniting will be more common in say 20 or 30 years time, when the long term older collectors who don't care a hoot about the web have their medals sold off etc.

Who you calling old!!! :P:lol:

Many of us "older Pups who have been collecting for what seems like centuries,but is in reality decades,are quite "au fait" with www.com world you know!!

I think a fair few Collectors are just that "collectors" & dont feel responsible (& in truth why should they) for re~uniting Medals to "Families" {which with the best will in the world now must be considered @ least "Extended"};that at the end of the day have already disposed of them in the past....

I don't feel in the slightest way responsible for handing over medals to anyone unless I wish to sell them. I may give in if they prove to me they are the diect next of kin, then pay me the going value (set by me) plus 25% finders fee. Yes I think thats fair.

I don't feel in the slightest way responsible for handing over medals to anyone unless I wish to sell them. I may give in if they prove to me they are the diect next of kin, then pay me the going value (set by me) plus 25% finders fee. Yes I think thats fair.

I think you have to look at the circumstances, in which the medals were sold? many medals ended up in the hooky shops especially during the 1920-30 because that was the only way men could get any money, and that was the last resort and as another member said there was no large medal collectors or internet about.

I watch a lady sell her grandfathers medals the other day on TV programme, WW2 set and it wasn,t until she sold them, she had second thoughts about what she had done, but what was doing taking them along in the first place?

I think in the past most people didn,t put a value on family medals as they knew how hard they came and it was more a personal thing than value, Now days people look at the Value first and how much can i get for it? even when it comes down to families medals.

Picked up a single (Victory Medal) today for £5. Packed with history - fun to research and feel like you are bringing the man back to the fore.

SPN

Maldon

Nice to hear that, I think that why British & Commonwealth medals are so personnel they unlike many other countries medals, our medals already have a thread to the person it was awarded to engraved on there rim.