Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Maltby Thompson Help needed

zeptrader

I;m helping a freind of mine in regards to her husbands releative, here is the information she has -

Thomas Maltby Thompson

Private

10th battalion Yorkshire Regiment

Age 31

Date of Death - 10/12/1915

Service Number - 20281

Son of the late Thomas and Sarah Jane Thompson; husband of Annie S. Thompson, of 2, Customs Row, Cargo Fleet, Middlesbrough.

Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Ref - I. K. 29A

Wimereux Communial Cemetary

other info -

10th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Richmond on 30 September 1914, as part of K3 and in October attached to 62nd Brigade, 21st Division. Moved to Berkhamsted and in October 1914 went on to Halton Park near Tring. Spent November 1914 to May 1915 in billets in Aylesbury before returning to Halton Park. Moved to Witley Camp in August 1915.

10 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

10 February 1918 : disbanded in France

On doing a search of the National Archives I found this - WO/2162

21 DIVISION, 64 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 9 Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1915 Sept. - 1919 Mar./ 10 Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1915 Sept. - 1918 Jan./ Brigade Machine Gun Company 1916 Jan. - 1918 Jan.21 DIVISION, 64 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 9 Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1915 Sept. - 1919 Mar./ 10 Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1915 Sept. - 1918 Jan./ Brigade Machine Gun Company 1916 Jan. - 1918 Jan.

Also she found out that he was wounded and sent to a hospital, very vauge I know but the date of his death was not in action, probably from wounds. Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Colin

Colin

He died of wounds at Wimereaux just north of Boulogne and well back from the Front,our Hospitals were there,and he is buried there also.

His unit the 10 Yorkshire,part of 21 Division,were involved in part of the Battle of Loos from 25 Sept to 18 Oct 1915,and were almost certainly holding the front line long after that Battle was over. He landed in France on 8 Oct 1915,a month or so after the main 10 battalion landing,he is likely to have been in a batch of replacements so wouldn't have been in on the really harrowing opening day(s) of that Battle when we lost very many soldiers.You MAY get to find out when he was wounded, and where,from the Battalion War Diary which is under WO95/2156 and is kept at Kew Archives. It is also possible/likely that he is not mentioned by name as casualties were numerous and often only the numbers of wounded/dead/sick or missing were entered in the Diary,so you will see that if wounded occurred on more than one day it might not be possible to determine which day he was hurt. Anyway,the value of the Diary is that you will be able to read a bit about the goings-on of his unit and their position in the scheme of things.

Sotonmate

• 10 years later...

Just updating this thread

Thomas died of tubercular meningitis in the 14th Stationary Hospital Wimereaux just north of Boulogne aged 31 on the 10th December 1915    

Ray