The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ieper Christmas Market opens!

Soren

Hi Mate,

I have just heard that the Christmas Market, Ice rink etc near the Cloth Hall will open on Friday, I thought that you might like to know more so here is the website:

http://www.kerstmarkt-ieper.be/sitegb/inde...p?file=kop1.php

For those that have not been to Ieper at Christmas it really takes on a wonderful new life! walk around the square with a Gluhwein taking in the lights, just fab!

Wish I could be there - looks very atmospheric. I'll have to make do with the German Market in Birmingham instead - not quite the same but does look good outside the City Council House.

Roger

Hello Roger,

It really is something else, the lights are just right creating a great Christmas atmosphere coupled with the tragic history that surrounds us here it is a special place, I will post pictures shortly

Soren

I will be out there on the 14th Dec for three weeks so I will see for myself.

John

I will be there on Friday for the weekend- can't wait.

I've even managed to convince the Mrs to visit a few cemeteries whilst there- if i give her a bit extra to spend on the market- bargain!!

WARNING!

Under the cover of the Cloth Hall, from 10am on Saturday, at the Christmas market, the Maghull Parish Handbell Ringers will be playing.

It will also probably be a good idea to avoid the Ypra Bar after the 8 o'clock on Friday, and t'Ganzeke on Saturday evening.

Unless you happen to enjoy handbell ringing, or course!

Bruce

Bruce

I'm a little odd as I quite like it....... but then again I like the thought of Ann Widdecombe in a Waffen SS sea cadet uniform as well if that’s anything to go by.....

Christmas in Ieper....... I can but dream, eh?

I hope everyone who will be in the area visiting has a great time and that those who live there continue to enjoy the experiences it brings.

Cheers,

Nigel

Bruce

I'm a little odd as I quite like it....... but then again I like the thought of Ann Widdecombe in a Waffen SS sea cadet uniform as well if that’s anything to go by.....

That must be the artist's eye. I'm not seeing it!

Cheers,

Nigel

Bruce

Have you already sought psychiatric assistance???

Ayesha has suggested a cure, however.......come and join in playing some bells!

:lol:

Bruce

I would love to spend christmas there, but cant see it ever happing. Also have never been to see it all lit up for christmas, will have to change that I think.

I shall post photos for you once they are fully on ( the lights) I am still awaiting the official invite from the City Hall to turn the lights on, it must have been lost in the post....

My first Christmas in Ieper was a real surprise, I love Ieper all year round, so was not really expecting anything extra special at Christmas, there's only an ice rink in front of the Cloth Hall and various huts selling Gluhwein, but coupled with the lights and the general karma about the place it really is special

Somehow, some of the Bellringers have got the impression that I have laid on fireworks for Friday evening to celebrate their arrival.

Keep schtum, all.....this will run and run!

:lol:

Bruce

I would love to spend christmas there, but cant see it ever happing. Also have never been to see it all lit up for christmas, will have to change that I think.

I thought about it as I've never seen it before, but 5 trips is enough for 1 year!

We've promised ourselves we'll go next year and that we'll spend at least 1 day in the town. This can get overlooked when you are out about all day.