Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Matthew English Thompson

sunflower

Matthew English Thompson, 26th (Tyneside Irish) Bn. killed 8 Nov 1917. Buried in St Martin Calvaire British Cemetery, St Martin Sur Cojeul south east of Arras.

Looking for any info on this soldier, and what action happened that battalion might have seen in on this date.

Many thanks, sunflower

sunflower

He was one of 12 soldiers of the 26 Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Irish) killed on 8 Nov 1917. They are buried 5 miles South South East of ARRAS so we can assume that the Battalion was in that vicinity,either in the front line or in reserve awaiting duty in the front line. This loss was probably due to a skirmish,artillery or a trench raid,as there was no large battle under way in this area at that time.The day-to-day face-off in occupying your territory.

You could find out exactly what happened from the Battalion War Diary,which is at Kew Archives under WO95/2467,or if you are lucky,someone here might know already and will post it for you.

Sotonmate

thanks guys

Just wondered about this battalion as I think they were up in the Salient just before this soldier lost his life.

I reckon the war diary is best bet. Hoping somebody has it for this day. Can I access this info direct from Kew?

sunflower

sunflower

You can chase it through the National Archives Catalogue to the point of ordering a copy and it will tell you if it is digital,in which case you can pay for a download. If not it gets expensive and takes a bit of time. Not all Diaries are digital as yet. I have just checked and it is digital:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/digital...and%20Fusiliers

Follow the instructions ensuring that you enter in the box what part of the Diary you want. I would suggest that you ask for a period from the 10 November 1917 backwards for the permitted copies for the fee of 8.50.

Sotonmate

Can I access this info direct from Kew?

You could also post a document look up request in that sub forum.