Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC in Salonika - contradicting information

Ashleigh

Hi.

I am still trying to decipher my grandfather's war records and the more I look the more confused I become.

I have looked extensively through the Long, Long Trail information which is very comprehensive and very useful.

My grandfather, Matthew, was in the ASC the Horse Transport section. His company was the 238 which apperently converted to the 14th Auxillary HT. His records tell me that he was shipped out to Salonika on the 19th August 1916 and he arrived there on the 20th August 1916. He had Malaria several times and the company number for his hospital records is again 238. In March 1918 he asked for and was granted a transfer to the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (ASH). However, his records state this time that he is part of the 800 company and is in the 17th Auxillary. His signature and T4 number matches as does everything else so this is definitely my GF. I have looked and looked and looked and it is definitely the 17th and the 800 company - the writing is very neat and clear. As he was assigned to the 1st Batallion of the ASH he would have then surley been the 27th Division 81st Brigade 1st Batallion?

I can find no information at all about the 800 company nor the 17th Auxillary. I also cannot fathom out why he was shipped out in the August when the information states the different divisions (whose information I have checked) were shipped out earlier in the campaign.

As an ASC would he have been assigned to a Division or be part of the 'general mix'?

Does anybody have any information about the 800 company and the 17th Auxillary Horse Transport?

Do you think the 800 company are the medical guys?

Another confusing issue is that when he is transferred to the 37th Reserve Park at/to Park Royal he is in another company which may be the 662!

ASHleigh.

ASC Company No. 238: as you state, this company served at Salonika as Army Troops in the role of 14th Auxiliary (HT) Company

ASC Company No. 800 was formed on 20 December 1916 and (like No. 238) they served as Army Troops in the role of 17th Auxiliary (HT) Company

These two companies share the same file ref at Kew, as indeed do other Auxiliary (HT) Companies from 12 to 17: WO95/4808

Perhaps there is some info there which might be of help

[info from Col Michael Young's history 'Army Service Corps 1902-1918' ISBN 085052 730 9]

Hello Michael

Thank you for your reply. It all begins to make sense now.

The option for visiting Kew down there in London is out of the question so it looks increasingly more wise that I read Michael Young's book.

ASHleigh.