Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Big Caterpillar

stripeyman

AWM photograph EO 4831 shows The Big Caterpillar near Ville sur Ancre, it was named because of the shape of sunken lanes on the map.

Could anyone give me its location and possibly a trench map ?

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

The northern end of the Big Caterpiller is about 300 yards immediately SSE of Ville-Sur-Ancre. It is the sunken part of the road that runs south from Ville-Sur-Ancre and to the west of Morlancourt. Sorry I don't have access to a trench map.

Cheers

Chris

Bob,

this extract is taken from the 21st Bn. AIF History

'We relieved the 22nd Battalion in front of Treux on the night of 14-15th April and had five days in which to study the position. The plan of attack was for the 22nd Battalion to outflank Ville-sur-Ancre on the right by capturing the "Caterpillar", a strongly held sunken road leading from the village on the river bank, up to Corbie road. The23rd and 24th were to push bridges across the Ancre and out flank the village in the swamps to the north. Our part was to fill the gap opposite the village and when the rest of the brigade was well established, to mop up the village and dig a line beyond it.'

post-15439-1259537278.jpg

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the map

Bob,

Looking at Jon's map, the Big Caterpillar is the sunken road in squares K1b and K1d running south from the sunken cross roads. It still exists today. It looks like the photo was taken from the cross roads. Today trees and bushes line the top of the embankments.

Regards

Chris

Thank you one and all.......

I will have a look at this next year, with a view to taking a comparison photograph

Thanks again

Bob

• 8 years later...

I found this thread as I have investigated an AIF soldier who died in The Big Caterpillar on 19th May 1918....

James Douglas Dean Harvey Huxley died in shelling in the Big Caterpillar near Ville-sur-Ancre and is buried in Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension.  He is buried alongside two of his fellow soldiers from the 21st Battalion AIF, who were killed by the same shell - Herbert Hickey and James Dooley (who served as John Simpson).

We are planning to visit Dernancourt on 19th May, and leave a Remembrance Cross on James Huxley's grave.

However we would like to do the same for Dooley and Simpson, but we want to see if there are any descendants out there.  We could place a personal tribute from them on their ancestors grave.  Has anyone got any ideas where I might search or post to see if there are any relatives out there - particularly in Australia?

• 6 years later...

Murdey

In reply to your investigation.

Its many years since your post,  today is ANZAC DAY 2024 and I've come across your post. The above mentioned  private James D D H Huxley is my great grandfather.

I appreciate the remembrance cross you mention in your  post and hope to visit he's grave myself one day. Just wondering your conection to him.

Cheers Dean, Vic Au

Murdey last visited the GWF on October 8 last  year, so may not see your post. I've sent him a private message that he may or may not get.