Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red cloth star ID needed

john gregory

post-20062-1259512253.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this 4 pointed star was awarded for, what year and which tunic, thanks JG

It's a Cadet Force - in this case Combined Cadet Force - First Class cadet pass.

It's a Cadet Force - in this case Combined Cadet Force - First Class cadet pass.

Thanks, JG

In our period 1914 1918 the four point star red was for a Pass at Certificate A in the Officer Training Corps ..... this gave exemption for a TF promotion exam to full Lieutenant. The gold star was Cert B and gave exemption to Captain. Lord Reith of BBC fame was the proud owner of a gold star. He served in Scottish Rifles TF.

The workmanship of the star illustrated is rather poor and I suspect it is one for the more modern Army Cadet usage as described above. The real deal [and the gold one] are beautiful period embroidery.

In our period 1914 1918 the four point star red was for a Pass at Certificate A in the Officer Training Corps ..... this gave exemption for a TF promotion exam to full Lieutenant. The gold star was Cert B and gave exemption to Captain. Lord Reith of BBC fame was the proud owner of a gold star. He served in Scottish Rifles TF.

The workmanship of the star illustrated is rather poor and I suspect it is one for the more modern Army Cadet usage as described above. The real deal [and the gold one] are beautiful period embroidery.

Thanks Grumpy, JG

Would agree its for modern usage as my school CCF Army Section used it to denote the passing of the Army Proficiency Certificate in NCO's Cadre (1960's).

Peridot