Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Australian Naval Bridging Train

Ed Matthews

Does anyone have any information on the role and activities of the Royal Australian Naval Bridging Train at Gallipoli? In particular, members of this unit who were involved in a dispute/"mutiny" over pay sometime in 1916? Does anyone have a copy of the book "First In, Last Out: the Navy at Gallipoli" which, I understand, covers the RANBT? My interest concerns one particular individual, ABD 300 Percy William SMITH who served with the unit from 17 April 1915 to 2 August 1917.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Rgds

Ed

In haste... there was an article in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society some years back. A friend once had a 1914-15 trio to a member of it. They had a torrid time at Gallipoli.

Ed

That book by Tom Frame is probably the best account of the Naval Bridging Train & also 'The Shores of Gallipoli: Naval Aspects of the Anzac Campaign' by the same author if you can get these through a library loan.

The embarkation roll for the Naval Bridging Train is also available on the Australian War Memorial website.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, Phil

Many thanks for your replies - much appreciated. I shall certainly have a look for the article on the RANBT in the OMRS journal.

Have either of you heard of the 1916 "mutiny" over pay involving members of this unit?

Many thanks

Ed

Ed,

There is a book called Mutiany it is about mutany and with drawal of labour within the RAN. There is a chapter on the mutiany by the RANBT.

I'm waiting to get my copy back.

Terry

Hi Terry

Many thanks for that. Could I trouble you for a copy of the relevant chapter? I will gladly pay any costs incurred! Alternatively, could you supply me with more details about the book?

Best wishes

Ed

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have a copy of the book "First In, Last Out: the Navy at Gallipoli" which, I understand, covers the RANBT?

Ed

Talk about drag up an old topic. Did you end up getting your hands on a copy of this book? I've just picked up a copy from the library - and will be quite happy to copy out the section on the Mutiny - if you haven't.

Cheers, Frev.

I now also recall (having been 'down under' again since the original post) that in the Museum underneath the Sydney War Memorial in Hyde Park, there is an exhibit in a glass case devoted to the RANBT. Might be worth looking for them (couldn't find an e-mail address) or asking the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

• 3 weeks later...

Ed

There are quite a few references to the Train in the Official vol. of the Royal Australian Navy (vol. ix, by Jose) which I think are available on line via the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

The index entry is under :

Australian Navy

- Naval Brigade

- 1st R.A.N Bridging Train

Andrew