Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cornelia Louise Stratton

old-ted

I have located a reference to Staff Nurse Stratton in WO 372/23 on the National Archives web site but I can't find her medal index card on the Ancestry web site. I think I have found her on the 1901 census as a 10 year old living in the civil parish of Whittlesey Rural and born Hertford. I know she was awarded "Squeek & Wilfred" as I have them in my collection. Any help as to where to look next or where to find any records of her nursing service would be a great help. She served in the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

John

There are no female medal index cards on Ancestry except a few that seem to have got in by accident.

Cornelia Stratton trained as a nurse at Birmingham Union Poor Law Infirmary, Dudley Road, between 1914 and 1917, so could not have joined the military nursing services until after that date. She has a service file at The National Archives, in fact she has two - WO399/8042 and WO399/14776. The first of these refers to service with Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, and the second to service with the Territorial Force Nursing Service. There are a number of women who have two files, usually signifying that they were originally TFNS who saw early overseas service attached to QAIMNS. As that could not have been the case here, and her medals are to QAIMNS, it may be that she had a separate period of service with the TFNS late in the war, or immediately post-war - it could just be one of those odd anomalies, but the file will clear it up. The General Nursing Council Register for 1928 gives her permanent address at that time as: 63 High Causeway, Whittlesey, Peterborough, Northamptonshire.

Regards --- Sue

I forgot to add that in the 1911 census she is in service as a domestic servant at 280 King's Road, Chelsea, the home of Thomas Robinson, a solicitor, and his family (born Hertford). Previous domestic service is something I rarely come across with the women who eventually ended up as nurses in QAIMNS, so she must have had a bit of oomph to improve her position and train as a nurse.

Sue

I have located a reference to Staff Nurse Stratton in WO 372/23 on the National Archives web site but I can't find her medal index card on the Ancestry web site. I think I have found her on the 1901 census as a 10 year old living in the civil parish of Whittlesey Rural and born Hertford. I know she was awarded "Squeek & Wilfred" as I have them in my collection. Any help as to where to look next or where to find any records of her nursing service would be a great help. She served in the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

She has a MIC in the National Archives

Description

Medal card of Stratton, Cornelia Louise

Corps Regiment No Rank

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve Staff Nurse

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23links to the Catalogue

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

• 6 years later...
Guest Alpha1234

I have located a reference to Staff Nurse Stratton in WO 372/23 on the National Archives web site but I can't find her medal index card on the Ancestry web site. I think I have found her on the 1901 census as a 10 year old living in the civil parish of Whittlesey Rural and born Hertford. I know she was awarded "Squeek & Wilfred" as I have them in my collection. Any help as to where to look next or where to find any records of her nursing service would be a great help. She served in the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.Thanks in anticipation.John

a. I am a descendant of Cornelia ( known to us as Corrie ) she was my fathers sister . If you are interested in the research I have completed I will post it

Hi

Is this the lady you are looking for

P276 British Journal of Nursing Oct 1932

SUPERINTENDENT NURSE,

The Infirmary, Norwich.Miss C. L. Stratton, S.K.N., has been

appointed Superintendent Nurse. She was trained at the

Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham, and has been Sister,

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R., Sister at the General Hospital, Grantham, Ward

and Theatre Sister at the High Teams Hospital, Gateshead, Night

Sister at the. West Herts Hospital, Hemel Hempstead, Deputy

Superintendent Nurse and Tutor at the Preston Hospital, North

Shields. Miss Stratton has also been engaged in private nursing,

and is a Certified Midwife.

This from P115 British Journal of Nursing Oct 1947

Obituary

.I

It is with deep regret that we have to report the deaths

of :-

Fellows,-Miss J. C. Child, Miss C. L. Stratton, Mrs. M. 0.

Peter

Guest Alpha1234

Yes this is my aunt . When she died he was Matron of Bowthorpe Hospital Bowthorpe Road Norwich . I was able to .obtain a print online of he medal record but had always wondered where they were .Did she sell them ? When she died ,as far as I know ,they could not be found

• 7 years later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. @old-ted hasn’t visited the forum for over a year, and  Alpha1234 is no longer a member as denoted by Guest. Sue Light died some years ago, so hopefully any research might still be held by old-ted. 

That's somewhat sad to know. Louise Stratton of QAIMANS is mentioned in Elsie Grey's Diary held at the IWM in London. She was noted as holding the rank of a Sister and had an association with the NZANS during the War.

Elsie Grey features briefly on Utube with the Pathe Newsreel 'Prince of Wales in Honolulu' 1920 where he met British veterans not only from the First World war but some Boer War veterans supposedly resident in Hawaii.

Cornelia Stratton's QAIMNSR service record and MIC can be downloaded free from The National Archives {once you register, which is also free}. There is also a TFNS record but I couldn't get it to download. It appears to be the same size as the QAIMNSR file, so may be a direct copy.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=CORNELIA STRATTON&_ps=60&_hb=tna&_col=200

Her BWM & MW medal roll entry is here;- https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_626640_11933-00253?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=a0b5b5f1e0b63f338ba592c5a4078e0f&usePUB=true&_phsrc=SIn4915&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=5810591

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you.

And like yourself here's to the memory of

Second cousins twice removed

Alexander Sutherland L/Corporal  Ser No 416  2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders  KIA 24th May 1915  Commemorated at Menin Gate Memorial, Belgium

Roderick John Sutherland Privqte  Ser No 669  5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders  KIA 24th March 1916  Forest of Rheims  Buried Maroeuil British Cemetery, France 

Both brothers are mentioned in "Golspie Remembers 1914-18"   Golspie Heritage Society

William A Macdonald  Capt 1st/5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders  KIA 23rd July 1918  Buried St Imoges Churchyard, France      Grandfather of my cousin Josie Mackenzie, author of 'Not Forgotten in The Glen' and his brothers

Kenneth Macdonald  Sgt  Ser No 200099  5th Cameron Highlanders  KIA 12th October 1917   Commemorated Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

Donald Macdonald  Cpl  Ser No 629503  47th Canadian Infantry Battalion KIA 11th November 1916  Commemorated Vimy Memorial, France

And to my First Cousins twice removed, featured in the book "Supreme Sacrifice - A small village and the Great War"  written by Walter Reid, Gordon Masterton and Paul Birch

Archibald Holms Fulton  Sgt  Ser No 2749 17th Glasgow Chamber of Commerce Battalion Highland Light Infantry KIA 19th November 1916 Buried Contay British Cemetery, Contay, France

Hugh Fulton 2nd Lt   9th Glasgow Commercial Battalion Highland Light Infantry   KIA  9th October 1918  Buried Loos British Cemetery, France

who are also commemorated on the Bridge of Weir War Memorial and Utube site

LEST WE FORGET

Edited by Kiwi Scribe