Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Establishments

ddycher

All

Have found references to battalions having been brought upto strength from Indian Establishment to British Establishment before embarking for active service from India. Understand that this was primarily the difference between war and peace footing but. Does anyone know what the different establishment levels were ? Best guess I have so far is that I understand that there were three basic establishments pre-war :

1. The Indian establishment. (approx 840)

2. War establishment (approx 1000)

3. Home establishment (approx 720)

I know that TF Bn's embarked for India with approx Indian establishments rather than full war establishment. But am not clear on what strength they left India for active service. Have conflicting ref's on Bn's being brought upto strength before departure and others show local re-inforcement in-country on arrival.

anyone have any views ?

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Have you found the actual extablishment tables? They will be at the TNA/IWM or even you regimental museum of interest or the Indian Office. This will be thre source you need.

The differences will be subtle, a mG section missing, a few less clerks, but an andiotnal officer fo local purchasing, a platoon without some of its sections.

Cheers,

Hendo

All

Have found references to battalions having been brought upto strength from Indian Establishment to British Establishment before embarking for active service from India. Understand that this was primarily the difference between war and peace footing but. Does anyone know what the different establishment levels were ? Best guess I have so far is that I understand that there were three basic establishments pre-war :

1. The Indian establishment. (approx 840)

2. War establishment (approx 1000)

3. Home establishment (approx 720)

I know that TF Bn's embarked for India with approx Indian establishments rather than full war establishment. But am not clear on what strength they left India for active service. Have conflicting ref's on Bn's being brought upto strength before departure and others show local re-inforcement in-country on arrival.

anyone have any views ?

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hendo

Sorry for the late reply - have been away for a week or so. Will follow up next time I am at home.

Regards

Dave