Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Regiment

Northern Soul

I've been sent this photograph and could use some assistance identifying both the regiment, medals and possible date please (and anything else that anyone may spot).

Andy.

post-754-1259315699.jpg

Argyll. Post-war. DCM and GW set

Cheers Steve. Badges aren't my speciality and I forgot the A&SH when googling images of Scottish regimental badges.

Any ideas on the last three medals? I think the final one may be the TFEM and the two adjacent to it are Coronation/Jubilee medals. However, I can't decide which.........and this is a bit of a stumbling block when trying to ascribe a rough date to the photo.

There also looks to be a rank badge on his sleeve. A crown? - WOII?

Cheers.

Andy.

Don't know much about ledals, but the shape of the last could wekk be the Territorial Efficiency Medal, I think.

L-R:

Distinguished Conduct Medal

1914-15 Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal

1935 Silver Jubilee Medal

Territorial Efficiency Medal - pre 1935 version

Efficiency Medal (Territorial) - post 35 version

Andy

WOII's crown by the look of it. I would have thought that there was a very good chance of identifying him through a visit to Stirling Castle to look at regimental journals. Presumbably he is serving with an A&SH TA battalion (although I suppose it is possible that he has moved on the the cadet force). The last TEM looks to be recently awarded judging by its angle to the rest of the group. Send a copy to the Bannockburn Bugle ... actually the Stirling Observer or the Stirling Times and I would not be surprised if somebody recognises him.

The chap next to him seems to be wearing a foreign decoration, possibly the Croix de Guerre.

A very fine photo

Ian

Yep, it's the single crown of a Warrant Officer Class II, probably a Company Sergeant Major in this case. And indeed, the fellow next to him is wearing a Croisx de Guerre - a Belgian one.