Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform

Monnaux

Hi,

I have a photo of my Granfather, William James Fry, in his uniform of the East Surrey regiment and I would like to know if any information can be deduced from this photo.

I know the cap badge is from the East Surrey which means it was taken between his enlistment (8/11/1910) and his transfer to the Border Regiment (9/11/1915) but I wonder if this picture can tell us anything else. Is it possible to see if the uniform is pre war ? Are there any distinctive markings on the uniform that could give us any information? For example, on his left arm, there is a white sort of chevron. Does this have a meaning or is it just a part of the standard uniform?

Can anyone also tell me the type of uniform (dress or something else?) and what colours it was (I think red jacket and blue trousers but is this correct?)

Thanks,

Gerald

Hi,

I have a photo of my Granfather, William James Fry, in his uniform of the East Surrey regiment and I would like to know if any information can be deduced from this photo.

I know the cap badge is from the East Surrey which means it was taken between his enlistment (8/11/1910) and his transfer to the Border Regiment (9/11/1915) but I wonder if this picture can tell us anything else. Is it possible to see if the uniform is pre war ? Are there any distinctive markings on the uniform that could give us any information? For example, on his left arm, there is a white sort of chevron. Does this have a meaning or is it just a part of the standard uniform?

Can anyone also tell me the type of uniform (dress or something else?) and what colours it was (I think red jacket and blue trousers but is this correct?)

Thanks,

Gerald

Sorry, I forgot to upload the picture....

post-13492-1259185151.jpg

Hi Gerald,

The uniform is definitely pre WW1, not sure about the chevron, could be Lance Corporal? I think probably No1 Dress and as you say a red jacket and blue trousers--but you need an East Surrey's man to confirm all this.

I'm sure there will be another post on the subject before long!

Robert

I assume the chevron is a Good Conduct Badge, for three years' service (I think that's it); in that case it would presumably date the photo to post November 1913 and pre-war.

The jacket is pre-1913, as a new pattern was introduced that year with a new pointed shoulder strap, which was entirely in the facing colour and introduced metal shoulder titles for the first time. This would throw the date of enlistment - however there would be a period of change over as each man was fitted out, should his enlistment date be correct.

The uniform is pre WW1 so you can shorten the period of use by a year.

It is indeed his red No 1 Dress uniform and very smart he is too.

Thanks!

Gerald

I assume the chevron is a Good Conduct Badge, for three years' service (I think that's it); in that case it would presumably date the photo to post November 1913 and pre-war.

Thanks Steven !

Gerald

Would this uniform (with a cane or swagger stick) also be called Walking Out Dress, or am I way off the mark?

Cheers,

Nigel

The jacket is pre-1913, as a new pattern was introduced that year with a new pointed shoulder strap, which was entirely in the facing colour and introduced metal shoulder titles for the first time. This would throw the date of enlistment - however there would be a period of change over as each man was fitted out, should his enlistment date be correct.

Thanks Graham!

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are confirming that the chevron is a three year badge which would mean that the photo was taken in 1913 at the earliest?

Gerald

Off the top of my head, as my Kings Regs aren't here with me, I believe the 1st Good Conduct Badge was only awarded after 2yrs "continuous" good conduct and not 3yrs as previously stated. A new pattern jacket was introduced in 1913 with a different shaped shoulder strap, so if your date of enlistment is 100% correct then the photo was taken in 1912.

On the dates discussed, one good conduct badge for 2 years.

By the way, we often hear that boots were not bulled in those days ....... a good soldier in a good regiment managed a darned good shine, nevertheless.

I recall, as a young lad in the 40s and 50s, the respectable working class man always had a hat [to doff to ladies], a crease in his trousers, and shiny shoes or boots.

On the dates discussed, one good conduct badge for 2 years.

By the way, we often hear that boots were not bulled in those days ....... a good soldier in a good regiment managed a darned good shine, nevertheless.

I recall, as a young lad in the 40s and 50s, the respectable working class man always had a hat [to doff to ladies], a crease in his trousers, and shiny shoes or boots.

Thanks to all of you!

Gerald