Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC Cloth PATCHES?

Peridot

Hi All

Am researching an ASC grandfather and records burnt and destroyed so in addition to the usual channels am trying to recall long ago conversations with him and recall him mentioning a Unit badge with a tank on it. He was definitely ASC and wonder whether any such badge ever existed and whether it may have signified involvement with the early deployment of the tank in which I understand the ASC were involved. Similarly does a badge with a stag on have any significance in an ASC context?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Peridot

Mike Young's history of the Corps does not mention a tank amongst the Company emblems.

The first unit to be involved with tanks was 711 MT Coy which provided the first drivers and the mechanics who repaiired them.

Other possibilities include 1086 to 1090 Coys who were the MT companies for 1 to 5 Tank Bdes.

Mike Young's history of the Corps does not mention a tank amongst the Company emblems.

The first unit to be involved with tanks was 711 MT Coy which provided the first drivers and the mechanics who repaiired them.

Other possibilities include 1086 to 1090 Coys who were the MT companies for 1 to 5 Tank Bdes.

Thanks for the information Delta. I am hoping that Father Christmas may bring me a copy of Mike Young's book if I can find one!!

Peridot

Have'nt seen one for a while.

You might get one through a library

Stephen

Thanks for that Stephen and does seem thin on the ground.

Peridot

Have'nt seen one for a while.

You might get one through a library

Stephen

Hi Delta

I've just been looking at a reply you did to someone on the Ask Away site on the 24th September. This mentioned a tortoiseshell brooch with a Mark 1 tank inlaid on it and it rang a bell in terms of my original query and resembles the description of the badge my grandfather mentioned.

I had jumped to the idea that it must have been a cloth patch but this sounds familiar. Wondered if you knew any more about them and whether it was an official badge or maybe one that the ASC Units had had made on an unofficial basis for those who were involved with tanks?

Have you ever come across any others?

My grandfather arrived in France end of June/early July 1916-would that have been early enough to be involved with tanks?

Thanks

Peridot

Thanks

The first tank crews and their supporting ASC soldiers (including 711 Coy) started to deploy to France in mid August; C Coy moved first (first arrival 16 August) followed by D Coy at the end of the month. I have got some of the ASC drivers and MT men listed but not all. Can you give me his name?

In Summer 1916, the soldiers wore the badge of their parent units - gunners wore either the RA badge or the MGC badge; driver wore the ASC badge. Officers seconded from other units wore their parent unit badge; those commissioned into the MGC wore the crossed machine gunbadge.

As the ASC drivers were transferred to the MGC (after November 1916) they wore the MGC badge. In early 1917, some of those officers seconded to the MGC wore MGC badges but not all. The "Tank Corps" and its badge did not come into being until Jul 1917; even then it took some while to become widespread and weven then some officers continued to wear their parent unit capbadge. Confusing isn't it!!

The white tank armbadge was introduced in mid 1917; the issue started in the Uk with the new units (i.e. E Bn onwards) and the original units (A- D Bns) did not get them immediately. This caused some wry comment when the new boys arrived in France

Stephen

Picking up the other part of your question - sweetheart brooches were made by jewellers; they were normally based on capbadges and were made of both precious metals as well as brass.

http://www.regimentalbrooches.com/shop/shop.php?c=65

gives an idea of what was produced

The tortoisesehll version would have had a tank badge in the centre -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAUX-TORTOISESHELL-S...=item41486887cc

The first tank crews and their supporting ASC soldiers (including 711 Coy) started to deploy to France in mid August; C Coy moved first (first arrival 16 August) followed by D Coy at the end of the month. I have got some of the ASC drivers and MT men listed but not all. Can you give me his name?

In Summer 1916, the soldiers wore the badge of their parent units - gunners wore either the RA badge or the MGC badge; driver wore the ASC badge. Officers seconded from other units wore their parent unit badge; those commissioned into the MGC wore the crossed machine gunbadge.

As the ASC drivers were transferred to the MGC (after November 1916) they wore the MGC badge. In early 1917, some of those officers seconded to the MGC wore MGC badges but not all. The "Tank Corps" and its badge did not come into being until Jul 1917; even then it took some while to become widespread and weven then some officers continued to wear their parent unit capbadge. Confusing isn't it!!

The white tank armbadge was introduced in mid 1917; the issue started in the Uk with the new units (i.e. E Bn onwards) and the original units (A- D Bns) did not get them immediately. This caused some wry comment when the new boys arrived in France

Stephen

Thanks very much Stephen and I think I can follow that!!

My grandfather's name was Arthur William Hanstock and his number was M2/183692. I am also trying to trace the descendants of Albert William Dovey whose number was M2/183958, the significance being that they were both in the same Unit and Berts records are also lost.

The sweetheart brooches are interesting and hard to think why he may have had one of these unless there was some involvement with tanks or maybe I am just grasping at straws!!

Thanks again.

Peridot

Sorry, I donl;t recognise either of the names from the first crews.

To track down ASC men is very difficult - I have made hardly any success in finding the drivers although the rest of the crews has been easier.

Stephen

Sorry, I donl;t recognise either of the names from the first crews.

To track down ASC men is very difficult - I have made hardly any success in finding the drivers although the rest of the crews has been easier.

Stephen

Thanks Delta and I have found the tracking of ASC men to be VERY difficult and particularly motor transport fitters/drivers of whom my grandfather was one.

The only clue, also kindly unearthed by another member is that the numbers some way either side of Bert Dovey both indicate an RGA posting and may be logical to assume Bert's and therefore my grandfather's was similar. Also the date of entry to the army was round about the first week in June 1916 under the Derby Scheme from an analysis of surviving records either side my grandfather's number. This may be the best I am going to get and attach a couple of pics-grandad on the right and Bert Dovey on the left in the double one and on the back row in the group one which looks to have been taken in France. A Lance -Corporal seems to be in charge.

Thanks again for your help.

Peridot

post-51174-1259744393.jpg