Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ballymoney Heroes

dhubthaigh

There is a Charles Robertson, Pte. Inniskilling Fusilers, listed on the Moulin (Pitlochry) War Memorial, Perthshire.

The following is from one of the local papers;

BLAIRGOWRIE ADVERTISER: 29.05.1915

CASUALTIES

Pvt. Charles Robertson, Cluny Farm, Pitlochry, of the Inniskilling Fusiliers, has been killed.

I belive this is;

Name: ROBERTSON, CHARLES

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 16/05/1915

Service No: 18196

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 16 and 17.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Enlisted: Ballymoney

Born: Cushendun

Can anyone with the book - Ballymoney Heroes - check and see if he is entered. Or any help with further information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cushendun is way down the Glens of Antrim .... it may be worth a check to see if he is on Ballycastle Memorial .. that's the nearest large town I can think of.

Des

By the way, the date in question was a horrendous slaughtering session for R Innis Fus if if remember correctly.

Robinson, Charles, Cushendun, Private Inniskilling Fus. Killed in Action.

The script above is on the Roll of Honour for the Presbyterian Congregation of Cushendall (which is the 'twin village' of Cushendun). The area has a v. small Presbyterian congregation and members from both 'Dall and 'Dun used the same Church.

I know the surname is different .. but I wonder?

Interesting .. have checked CWGC for a record to fit Robinson (above) .. no joy.

Robertson is, as you already know, on the list.

Thus, could it be possible that the Church got the name wrong in later years?

After all the above ... scroll down to the list of trustees on this list .. you will see an Anona Robertson ..

Robertson as a surname is about as rare in Cushendun as you can get ... may well be a descendant of some kind.

This is all very interesting indeed. I've got to think that Robinson/Robertson is the same man and Anona would be a relative.

Would there be a newspaper that covers this area and if so I could get in touch with the library for any casualty report/obit. Thanks

Mark

I'm from Ballymena which is the 'covering Presbytery' for Cushendun and Cushendall ... I've researched the files of the Ballymena Observer and Ballymena Weekly Telegraph for the 14-18 period (see my Ballymena website below) ... I had not come across this individual before today.

He's not included on my main 'virtual memorial' listings because:-

1. He's not on the war memorial ; 2, C'Dun and C'Dall are now in a different Council area (Moyle).

You could try to contact the Local Studies staff at Ballymena Central Library (do a google)