Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-1918

lostinspace

Found a few more books that might be of interest: "History of the Lincolnshire Regiment, 1914-1918" by C.R. Simpson, "The 10th (P.W.O.) Royal Hussars & the Essex Yeomanry During the European War, 1914-1918" by Sir F.H.D.C. Whitmore and "The 54th Infantry Brigade, 1914-1918; some records of battle and laughter in France" by E.W.J. Rowan (18th Div.), all on the Internet Archive.

Regards,

lostinspace

Dear Lost in Space

Tried to send you a PM but failed hopelessly - I don't seem to have the correct permissions. Thank you very much for posting this. We had a look at the Simpson book on line. It records the death of our great-uncle Ernest Jeffries. He was killed on 20th October 1918 but his mother did not receive the telegram until the 12th November when the war had officially ended. From reading the book it would seem that his unit was withdrawn from the line the day after he was killed.

Once again many thanks for your part in helping us find out a little more. It is much appreciated.

Julia

Hi Jim

Thanks for taking the time to look this up for us.

This would fit in with what we have always been told. My husband's grandfather (Walter Jeffries survived the war & lived to be 104) was told that he was actually killed by a sniper. In some strange way this seems to make it worse, that he was directly targeted rather than a victim of some random activity. Anyway he never left grandad's thoughts especially as he signed up twice when he was under age. The first time they managed to get him back. We went to his grave a few years ago (the first members of the family to do so) and took some photos which grandad kept with him all the time, we all cried for hours when he firsyt saw them!

Your help much is much appreciated - I hope the weather is better in Denver than it is here.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family - I've just watched Obama sparing Courage the Turkey.

Julia

Hi Julia,

Have been away from the computer for a few days, welcome to the forum and thank you for the nice comment, glad to help (even if only in a very small way). Oh, I think you have to post ten times on the forum before you can "personal message", not sure why, just one of the rules I guess.

Regards,

lostinspace