Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Red Chevron

max7474

Looks like the overseas service chevron (indicating service in 1915, I think). The other chevrons were blue.

Can any one tell me what this chevron signifies. It is sized against a RA cap badge for comparison and is believed to be WW1.

Thanks

Certainly of rank size when compared to the RA capbadge, but I've never seen an overseas service chevron on that scale, which as you're well aware much smaller - so at a loss as to what it could be.

Lots of recent discussion of red and blue overseas chevrons. Looks to me like a WW2 chevron. WW1 chevrons were 1/4 inch wide and each arm was 1 1/4 inches long, and embroidered.

Having looked again and noted the scale of the chevron, I can now see it isn't an overseas chevron. Sorry about that!

Thanks - US or British?

Given the size, it would appear to be the chevron worn by US soldiers on their tunics after discharge (ie to show they were no longer serving soldiers in the short time period in which they were still allowed to wear their uniforms).

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:n9bkb...nk&ie=UTF-8

Just a thought, but when I was a boy soldier - interestingly enough in the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Artillery- all junior soldier rank badges where red. So, could this be a memento of someone’s boy service?

Andrew

Thanks. Any collectable value or are they so common that no one would want one?

If it is the US chevron, very common - lots of surviving uniforms worn by returning soldiers had them added.

Thanks. Where was it worn and which way up is right?

As per the two tunics in the link I posted, lowish on the upper left sleeve, point upwards.