Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards Regiment History look-up required

nthornton1979

Hi all,

I'm researching a chap who landed with the 2nd Battalion in August and lost his life November 1914.

Does anybody have the history or know the Battalions movements and actions involved in ?

Many thanks

Neil

The 2nd Coldstream were in the 4th (Guards) Brigade, 2nd Division at the time. I have the regimental and divisional histories; the regimental is an odd one (by Sir John Ross-of-Bladensburg, KCB, KCVO), which has relatively little about the regiment in it, but lots of Grand Strategy stuff. The divisional history is excellent, though.

However, Forum member Coldstreamer (there's a clue in the name!) is the man to ask - PM him a line.

In short, the 2nd Division was involved in every action: Mons, The Retreat, Landrecies, The Marne, The Aisne, 1st Ypres, Langemarck, Gheluvelt and Nonne Boschen.

If there's anything specific, let me know and I'll look it up.

Steve,

Many thanks for that. There's nothing inparticular but I am attempting to complete a 'write-up' on a chap whose British War Medal I have just purchased. I wanted to read up on what he had been through.

The medal came with a newspaper cutting which I posted on another thread. Here it is again with other deatils I have.

8457 Joshus Thomas Grantham (Pte on BWM,L.Cpl on CWGC,Service records, De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour)

2nd Coldstream Guards

Entered France 12.08.14

Died of Wounds 15.11.14

Here is the newspaper article as it appears :-

A COTTINGHAM HERO

The death from wounds has been reported of Seargant Joshua T Grantham, Coldstream Guards, son of Mr and Mrs Albert Grantham of West Green, Cottingham. Seargant Grantham went out with the 2nd Coldstream Guards as Corporal, lost his Regiment, was missing for two days, fell in with the 1st Cheshire Regiment and became Seargant. He died near Ypres on November 15th.

In a letter to Miss D Hairsine of Cottingham he gave an account of one of his last brave acts, for which he was recommended for the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He wrote :-

"I've been in some pretty hot corners but never so hot as last Friday. I was leading about 30 men down a road about midnight, when we suddenly ran bang into the Germans, and it's a wonder we weren't all done in. As soon as they fired on us we dropped into a ditch and let them have it hot and strong, and after a while succeeded in driving them back, but not before they had killed one and wounded four of us.

After we had been ordered to retire I and three Officers went back to fetch the wounded and were chased again, but we eventually succeeded in getting three away and the others were found in the morning after the enemy had finally been driven off. Our Captain was wounded and has recommended me for the Distinguished Conduct Medal"

In the letter received by his Mother two days after his death, he says :-

"I have done my duty up to now and have played the man. I have been Mentioned in Dispatches and have also been recommended for the DCM"

Neil

I have now managed to borrow a copy of the history (thanks for the reccomendation Steve)

And am awaiting the diaries from a forum member so I'm all sorted now

Thanks everyone

Neil

diary on the way

Coldstreamer,

novice poster here. I replied yesterday to an historic post of yours ref: Alfred Woyen CG. The content was extremely helpful and informative. Unfortunately I can't seem to access PM, but am keen to discuss further. Alfred was my great uncle.

Coldstreamer,

novice poster here. I replied yesterday to an historic post of yours ref: Alfred Woyen CG. The content was extremely helpful and informative. Unfortunately I can't seem to access PM, but am keen to discuss further. Alfred was my great uncle.

Steve,

You can only use the PM system once you have made 10 posts on the Forum. If you post your question on a new thread (so as not to hijack this one) I'll send Ian a PM that you have a follow-up in a new thread.

HTH,

Ian M.

Ian,

thanks a lot, hopefully I've now established direct contact with Coldstreamer.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get want you required from this???

If not let us know.

regards

Did you get want you required from this???

If not let us know.

regards

CT,

if this was meant for me, then yes, very much so. I am now in dialogue with CWGC as a result of information which came to light, and looking forward to sharing the findings with the rest of the family over xmas.

Mind you, any more info always gratefully received!

Regards

Steve