Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying uniform

Guest Chrislass

We think this is a picture of John McGrady (sorry it isn't very good), we know he served during the war and he had spurs, but we know nothing else. He was born 1879 and from Whitehaven in Cumberland. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

post-51480-1258897787.jpg

Chrislass,

I am sure you will get more positive responses but for a starter I would say that the photograph is of a young soldier in 'Walking Out Dress' ie Red Coat blue trousers of an 'English or Welsh line Regiment. The light coloured collar and cuffs suggest possibly a non 'Royal' unit. The uniform looks pre 1914-18 itis hard to make out the collar badge but could be the ball of a Fusilier Regiment. He has a marksman badge. I think an English County Regiment not Cavalry. He may of transferred later to Horse later bearing in mind you may mean 'spurs' instead of stirrups. You put your feet in stirrups. Wearing of 'spurs' could include service in Artillery,Engineers or Army Service corps as well as Cavalry. I believe this man at the time of the photo is an infantryman. Just a start.

Tony p

If he worked with horses he could well have been with the battalion transport of an infantry regiment.

Or mounted infantry as the "jam pot" cuff disappeared c.1902 for a new pointed cuff, along with the reintroduction of coloured facings.

Chris Lass,

Another thought. I mentioned that the collar badge looked similar to a grenade, I know hard to tell,but the Northumberland Fusiliers did not get the prefix 'Royal' until 1935. The significance of this is that 'Royal' Regiments had blue facings this uniform has light coloured possibly white. Coming from Cumbria it was just a thought. Although the Border Regiment, the local County Regiment for the area,also had similar facings I think that the Border Regiment Depot was Carlisle.

Tony P

Just a complete guess based on the possible mounted clue and the locale, Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry? Trouble with trying to use the Ancestry records is Cumbria is no help in narrowing anything down!

Without access to my Dress Regs book till tonight I can't confirm their uniform colour details anyway, and on my works monitor the pic is probably worse than it really is! The Northumberlands being another local unit are obvious contenders of course.

ttfn

Matt

The clue lies in this particular pattern of frock coat as it appears have white shoulder strap's, which is an unusual feature. Those worn by the Northumberlands frock coat were plain scarlet(no piping), with the regimental title woven in white worsted cotton, this was a white grenade above the initials "NF".

I believe that both Cavalry & Yeomanry units in undress would wear shell jackets rather than frock coats.

Thanks, that helps me to appreciate the pattern differences. I hope someone else knows!