Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Damage MG08/15

Mark Finneran

34788365.th.jpg

Both the vickers and MG08 had battlefield repair patches custom made/issued but has anyone seen an image or owns a MG08/15 that has had the same type of repair to the waterjacket. Here is my holed one which obviously I shall not touch, besides the original owners were either too pre-occupied (dead!) to repair or just decided it was too much trouble :D

Any thoughts most welcome.

Mark

Fabulous. I saw one for sale in France two weeks ago for 6000 €.

John

John did you take any pictures of the 'Frenchie' example? I know they are valuable but Euros 6k is excessive I think. Gosh that is more than a 'good' example with some accessories!!! :blink:

Mark

Fabulous. I saw one for sale in France two weeks ago for 6000 €.

John

John did you take any pictures of the 'Frenchie' example? I know they are valuable but Euros 6k is excessive I think. Gosh that is more than a 'good' example with some accessories!!! :blink:

Mark

Sorry I didn't but yes it was excessive but it was a good one. Another example of a price I saw on the same day was a WW1 tank mask with chain mail. Near perfect condidtion but 2500 euros. On that basis (and per pound and size) the MG08 was cheap!

john

b====y h===! and i thought prices had levelled off a bit!!

my mg 08/15 has various shrapnel dents, but no holes but, where the back site is there is no makers name or date, maybe a wartime repare?

matt

anyone any ideas on this? ie did the rear sight get replaced as apposed to a wartime repair? on my mg 08/15 that part has no maker markings at all, would this be wartime repair or post war to make it look more complete? its got a few shrapnel dents but no holes...

matt

Matt,

More likely corrosion has erased?

Probably never know...annoying though!

Regards

TT

yes thats what i thought, but not even a trace of anhting survives, would love to know when and where she was made...ah well!

matt

Do you have any images Matt?

There are other places where there are serial numbers and potential maker stamps?

This is an 08/15 we are discussing? Does it have a ground gun rear sight or is it perhaps an aircraft gun top cover.

Mark

yes thats what i thought, but not even a trace of anhting survives, would love to know when and where she was made...ah well!

matt

Do you have any images Matt?

There are other places where there are serial numbers and potential maker stamps?

This is an 08/15 we are discussing? Does it have a ground gun rear sight or is it perhaps an aircraft gun top cover.

Mark

yes its an 08/15, no maker marks i can see but it does have a seriel number on the body a 4 figure on - can#'t tell you exactly what as its packed away...will dig out pics when i find them! i was just suprised that the top cover was blank

matt

yes i asked a while ago....no luck with images yet....

matt