Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MG08/15 steam connectors

Mark Finneran

If anyone has any details please on the Imperial German acceptance/usage/change of pattern I would love to hear from them. Images show the 2 types and one fitted. They are easy to knock off and lose hence many on the collectors market are missing the connector.

ddf015.th.jpg

waterpatt.th.jpg

If you have a spare or know of any I would be interested as I am looking for one for a friend in the US.

Thanks

TonyE

Tony will do. The US$ market for these is rather staggering so spare water/steam connectors are rather hard to come by, compounded by easy to lose. If I had 10 spare I could buy a whole MG08/15!!

So yes if I find a spare you will be the first to know. Of course I might be prepared to offer up one of mine if the trade was right - seems to be the only way nowadays to improve one's own collection :innocent:

Mark

If you have a spare or know of any I would be interested as I am looking for one for a friend in the US.

Thanks

TonyE

Mark,

For info the one on my 08/15 is the bottom type in your image ie with small metal "bridge" between tube and base.

Regards

TT

TT Thanks.

The Brussels Small Arms Collection curator informs me that that type was the first issued in-service example bt could offer no dates. I guess detailed study of period postcards would help but very very time consuming..........

:innocent:

Mark

l

Mark,

For info the one on my 08/15 is the bottom type in your image ie with small metal "bridge" between tube and base.

Regards

TT

• 1 year later...

If anyone has any details please on the Imperial German acceptance/usage/change of pattern I would love to hear from them. Images show the 2 types and one fitted. They are easy to knock off and lose hence many on the collectors market are missing the connector.

ddf015.th.jpg

waterpatt.th.jpg

Hi Mark,i'm new to the forum,but would value your opinion, regarding the steam cover on my mg 08/15. The cover has the end of the tube,with the hose adaptor missing,it hasn't been snapped off, as the tube is too neat,about 18 months ago, i saw an 08/15 for sale with exactly the same damage,was this a period alteration , and what purpose would it serve? Your thoughts would be appreciated, will upload pics of my example, which is a J.P SAUER & SOHN, SUHL example, dated 1917,in superb condition, with the drum mag fitted, kind regards Barney

The breaking of the hose fitting on the steamport covers didn't have anything to do with deliberate alteration simply because then the operator would have to go to the trouble of cutting the end off the hose which holds the correct fitting and then adapt wire or a clamp to firmly hold the tubing onto the steamport tube. Having repaired many, many steamport covers that had crushed, bent tubes and fittings, or other damage it is evident that along with the water filler hole plug handles, the steamport covers were also subject to a high degree of damage from handling and abuse of the weapon.The covers were generally numbered to the guns, although many also were not. I haveno idea when numbering stopped, but I would assume that it began with the introduciton of the guns. Having seen both types on guns that had matching numbers with dates of 1917 and 1918, it doesn't seem possible to determine that there was some clean cutoff date when one type superceded the other. No doubt covers were canabalized from damaged or unserviceable guns or when lost an put onto functioning guns. withut being able to see the numbers on the covers and seeing if it matches the gun, it just isn't possible to make any determinations from pictures about which type was used at any given period.

In my opinion, relative to the manufacturing styles, I'd hazard an educated guess that the type without the sheet metal support came later as it would require less time and materials to manufacture. The cover part of the fitting is one casting, compared to the other which required morte operations for making the support and assembling it. The type without the support is marginally stronger as well in resistance to bending.

Bob Naess

Black River Militaria CII

USA

Bob,

Interesting update. Where were they numbered. If underneath I am scuppered as I cannot remove mine. Any clues.

TT

The serial numbers were usually stamped on the back side of the rotating ring. Not all are numbered, and of the ones I've seen there soesn't weem to be any particular dates sthat are or aren't. The numbers do look "factory" , though.