Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting St Sever, Rouen

Chunkeroo

Clare, Are you taking a three week holiday before, during or after your trip to St.Sever? You will need it. You have so many requests that I hesitate to add more. But I will any way. Please only do them if you happen to be stumbling about near their plots. Luckily they all seem to be quite close to each other (I think).

ST.SEVER

Branfoot, Lucy Innes (Dame) - officers plot A.2.6

Dickson, Mary VAD officers plot B.4.9

Gosling, Clara QMAAC S.V.J.12

Knox, Hilda Mary Austr.A.N.S. B.4.10

Pearton, Edith YMCA B.4.17

Smith Lee, Jeannie VAD B.5.25

Warnock, Elizabeth McMath BRCS B.4.23

ST.SEVER EXTENSION

Armstrong, Ellen, QAIMNS plot S.V.M.6

Bousefield, Mary Cawston, VAD plot S.V.M.10

Holborow, Rose Mabel QMAAC plot S.V.H.3

Johnston, Elizabeth QMAAC plot S.V.L.10

Llewellyn, Gwynedd Violet VAD plot S.V.G.13

Steele, Winifred Mary QMAAC S.V.L.7

jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

In view of Chris' comments about the costs of running this great forum, perhaps it would be appropriate for a donation to be made in return for photos obtained of faraway graves and places. Of course this could be equally well done by the taker of the pictures after deduction of the cost of a lunch and a beer or two.

I think I may be too late for this now, but if not, I'd be terribly grateful for a photo of the grave of Guy V Rainforth of the Artists Rifles who died 16.03.1916 - of pneumonia, while training, poor chap. He is commemorated on the Lincoln School memorial and is buried at A 18.25. Sorry don't know if that's in Comm. Ext or not - it sounds like CWGC section. - Gosh - just looked at the plan. Huge! isn't it.

Thanks very much - Graham

• 2 weeks later...

& the next view round. My family & I will hopefully be making another visit during June, my wifes Great grandfather is buried there. I would be willing to take a few photos, please provide the name, plot & date of death.

post-12-1085738014.jpg

Perce

Any chance of a photo of Sidney Ralph Tyrrell

Private

Army Service Corps

38th Depot Unit of Supply

Date of Death: 10/07/1915

Service No: SS/666

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 5. 25.

TIA

Andy

Perce,

If at all possible could you get one of Sergeant Frederick William Thomas RILEY, 2/4th London Regiment, # 281431, died 25/6/17.

Grave P.11.1.6B.

Many thanks

Andy

Well folks, we are off tonight, so no more requests for me. I have my list ready and packed and hope I shall be able to fulfill all your desires. Hope we don't get lost in Rouen. I will contact you all after Monday for email addresses and forward copies by attachment.

Clare :rolleyes:

Clare,

Hope you have a great time.

Andy

Dear all

Got back from my trip late last night. Had a great stay at Avril Williams,as usual, with a rather large detour via Rouen. What a place!! Still I was warned, wasn't I?

Arrived on the outskirts of Rouen about 6am Saturday, via the N138, only to discover I had left the town map at home. (Small row with husband at this point.) Found a small plan in the back of the road atlas and thought, this can't be too difficult. (How naive). However, even at that early hour, the roads were fairly busy. Drove down the Av Jean Rondeaux to cross the river. Missed the William the Conquerer bridge, drove on. Missed the Jean of Arc bridge, drove on again. Arghhh!! Finally crossed the P. Cornelle bridge and got over the river. That was the easy bit. Drove around the one way system for a while, just for the hell of it, and spotted a taxi cab. He would only speak to my husband for some reason. Anyway, must have got our droits and gauches mixed up somehow, because we drove past him again 5 minutes later. Stopped a young chap, who had never heard of a CWGC cemetery. ARGH!! Suddenly noticed we were in the Av. des Canadien and remembered Marco had mentioned this on Forum. Asked a girl in a chemist shop and she gave us directions straight to it. Fantastic!

It was the back entrance, I think, past a large dunghill. (Didn't someone else mention that?). But anyway, what an awesome sight. It was huge, and it was also very hot with the sun beating down. It took about two hours to photo all the requested plots. I was unable to find three at all, unfortunately. Checked and re-checked but no grave for the name given. But on the positive side, I took 33 photo's of plots requested, including two for myself.

Have attached a photo of St Sever cemetery, just to prove we went there. I will email all requested photo's as attachments in the next few days. Sorry to anyone who I couldn't help, but I notice Perc is going this month, so maybe he will have better luck.

Clare :D

post-12-1086118042.jpg

Clare,

I have replied to your email. Can I just say you're a "star" for taking 2 hrs out to take the requested photos.

Many thanks,

Sigs

I'm glad the advice was usefull Clare. Driver - navigator: your marriage isn't in trouble? :D

Regards,

Marco

:blink: Dear Clare,

There should be an MM equivalent for those of us who brave the one-way Rouen road system AND find St. Sever, whetehr by the back or front gate! Welcome back - I remember wondering at one point if I would ever get back again, but thanks to the superb navigation skills of Mr. Whitlock, we not only got out of Rouen, but even got back to Blighty in one piece!

Cynthia

Perc,

Please could i trouble you for a photo from St.Sever Cemetery Extension of Pte. Loftas Layfield 49256 died 23/07/1918. Grave Ref: Q. iii. B. 8.

Thanks & have a good trip.

Chad

St Sever appears to be a huge cemetery. The web site mentions 26,989 plus. Is this the largest CWGC cemetery? I always believed Etaples was with approaching 12,000 burials.

Tim

Perc

If you get the chance to visit the St. Sever Cemetery Extension that will be attached to the main cemetery, i would be grateful for a scan of the grave of

William Thomas Hadlow buried in plot VI, row M, grave 3A at St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France.

William was a gifted scholar from a working class background who attained a First Class degree at Goldsmiths College London, went on to become an Assitant Master at a local school and died from a head wound received within 24 hours of entering a Front Line trench for the very first time. Aged 25.

Many thanks,

Sigs

Jim, I am interested in your list. Who are these women? Why all there? It looks so interesting - and unusual???

Kathie

Kathie, The women listed mostly died of disease. The Spanish 'flu was devastating and many people died from it. Also meningitis. The large number of serving women buried at St.Severs I guess is due to Rouen being well situated being as close behind the lines as was reasonable for the time and with good access (road, rail and sea). A prime spot to have substantial hospital facilities and the women would have been there in some numbers to provide nursing support.

Yes, well done Clare. A M.I.D and a St Sever battle honour will be in the post. Rouen at 6am sounds quite enticing . Good timing. 5pm on a wet friday evening merits an M.M , Cynthia !

Just want to check that I've sent all photo's to the right people. I still have a couple on the list which I haven't crossed off. This may just be me not paying attention, but if you are still waiting for your photo(s), let me know.

;)

Clare, You are a brick. Photographs are superb. If I had my way I would promote you out of the ranks immediately. Many thanks, Jim Strawbridge

• 10 months later...

Hello

It would be nice if you can take a gravestone photo of the following soldier for me,

it would be very nice.

BRAITHWAITE, JACK

Initials: J

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment: Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 29/10/1916

Service No: 24/1521

Additional information: Son of Mrs. M. Blaithwaite, of Auckland, New Zealand.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: O. I. K. 10.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

He is one of the few new zelander shot at dawn.

I went to St Sever two years ago and found it quite easily

two kilometers south from the center.

I am surprised why it was so difficult for some to find it.

Maybe the website www.viamichelin.fr could help.

The cemetery appears on city map near Grand Quevilly.

(Scale "Ville" under the U of ROUEN)

I wish you good road there and thanks in advance.

:)