Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn Kings Liverpool Regiment 61st Brigade

Liverpool Lou

Does anyone have access to the War Diaries 12th Bn Kings Liverpool Regiment please?

I am particularly interested in 3rd, 4th and 5th September and 7th October 1916. I am researching my Great Uncle David Jones who was awarded a VC for his actions which commenced on 3rd September. He was killed in action on 7th October.

Thanks

Trisha

Trisha,

If you are in (or near) Liverpool, an official typescript copy of the diary is, I think, held in the Maritime Museum Reading Room during the rebuild of the Museum of Liverpool. You would need to check their opening times by phone; I think they are only open on a limited number of days in the week.

There should be some maps and an account in Everard Wyrall's History of the King's Liverpool Regiment

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the information. I can get to the Maritime Museum, I hadn't realised the diary would be available during the rebuilding. I will certainly check that out.

Thanks

Trisha

If you have not looked at Wyrall's book (I think it will be Volume 2), there are good maps of the Guillemont battlefield. I suspect that the maps in the modern reprint are much poorer and at smaller scale so the original (if the map is intact) is probably best. There may be one in the Central Library.

I would check the availability of the 12 KLR diary by phone also at the Albert Dock Maritime Museum; it should be there according to the list I have.

Ian

Trisha

the following is an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions n the Somme'

Moved forward to assembly trenches east of Bernafay Wood (3/9) and in action at Guillemont. Relieved and to craters at Carnoy (5/9). Casualties - 187. To Sandpit Camp (6/9). War Diary notes that upon relief (complete by 5.30 a.m.) Sgt David Jones with two Lewis gun teams remained in the line - the incoming battalion (9th Border) having brought no Lewis guns. With most of his party killed, Sgt Jones held his position against several strong attacks until relieved next morning, arriving at Sandpit Camp at 9.10 a.m. For his gallantry and leadership Sgt Jones was awarded the Victoria Cross.

The Battle for the Transloy Ridges began on the 7th October 1916. The 61st Brigades objective was and Rainbow, Misty and Cloudy trenches. At 1.45 p.m. with the 12th Bn. at the front of the attack made progress of around 500 yards and into the western section of Rainbow Trench. Sgt. Jones was in 10 platoon and was killed during the fighting.

I have map extracts that cover the above named locations, let me know if you'd like copies

cheers, Jon

Ian and Jon,

Thanks for all the helpful information and for your time spent in helping me.

Jon, I would love copies thank you. I have sent you a pm.

Thanks again

Trisha

Have you seen the first of three volumes of 'Liverpool Heroes' - the stories of Liverpool holders of the Victoria Cross? They have been on sale locally at £7 each, but with some outlets offering a discount for the three together.

There are six pages on David Jones, with a photo of him and one of a memorial plaque.

D