Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Foot Guards full dress

Muerrisch

There must be hundreds of photos of Foot Fuards in full dress pre- and post-war, and a very few during the war.

Please help me to pin down an elusive fact: dark blue badge backing, or scarlet, or a systematic change at some time?

Evidence [hearsay or otherwise]

1. Respected authority Peter Walton says blue for 'qualification' badges 1890 [lets call them 'trade', everyone does these days.

2. My photo evidence 1920, 1950s, 1970s, 1980s says blue [LG, B, wheel, musketry, signals at least]

3. However the badge authority PVCN throughout the period lists availability, code, and price of badges on scarlet, so who were these for?

4. These badges [except the various para and commando badges] seem not to be worn on full dress these days, neither do good conduct badges.

Note that rank badges are, and always were, mounted on blue facing then scarlet.

So, please dig out photos of guardsmen showing such badges, preferably good quality and offered via PM

If I do not reply Sat - Mon its because I will be away.

Thanks in advance.

To the best of my knowledge pre 1900 trade badges dark blue backing, I'll hunt for this one as I know I have images showing that.

I'll check my bookshelf and scan anything that may be of use.

To the best of my knowledge pre 1900 trade badges dark blue backing, I'll hunt for this one as I know I have images showing that.

I'll check my bookshelf and scan anything that may be of use.

Very kind of you, thank you

From the Assistant Curator at the Guards Museum:

"Further to your enquiry regarding coloured backings to badges worn on Home Service uniforms.

As far as we know the only badge ever to have been worn with a red coloured backing is the large Royal Coat of Arms by the Sergeant Majors. All the rest are on what is called dark navy blue."

From the Assistant Curator at the Guards Museum:

"Further to your enquiry regarding coloured backings to badges worn on Home Service uniforms.

As far as we know the only badge ever to have been worn with a red coloured backing is the large Royal Coat of Arms by the Sergeant Majors. All the rest are on what is called dark navy blue."

Squirrel: thanks, but this is clearly not true.

All Cpl, Sgt and CSgt rankings are 'on dark navy blue ON SCARLET', not the same thing at all!

Grumpy,

I'm still looking for good pictures that will assist with your questions. Most images I have are inconclusive or unclear but I have not given up the search and I will endeavour to resume during my free time. Unfortunatly I work the worst hours possible so I am here in the office half my life!

Squirrel: thanks, but this is clearly not true.

All Cpl, Sgt and CSgt rankings are 'on dark navy blue ON SCARLET', not the same thing at all!

And the question was very carefully phrased as well..............

Why did I not guess that the answer would be somewhat less than apparently accurate?

many thanks ..... this is my current thesis:

Full dress:

rank badges: on scarlet except the 'WO I not an RSM' and WO II badges. In most cases a blue facing above the scarlet and below the badge material.

all others:

on dark navy blue and always have been.