Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Ulster Rifles

David B

I am beginning research of a g/uncle who, at presumably the beginning of the GW was a member of the Royal Irish Rifles. At some later date he

transferred to the Royal Ulster Rifles, presumably on his promotion to Lieutenant.

I assume that his division would be the 36th (ulster) but of course he could have been in any number of brigades/bns etc within that Division.

As the person was a permanent - he joined, presumably about 1904 when he was 18 years old and was paid off H.P. in 1940 with the rank

of Major.

Is there any material obtainable on this division - like books, presumably there would be war diaries etc but as he continued serving long after

the war ended I bvelieve that his records are still held by Mod.

The person in question is Major Charles Deslandes Hamon.

David

David

Here's his MIC, certainly when he went overseas he was with the 2nd Royal Irish Rifles as part of 7th Brigade in 3rd Division. Assuming he was with the 2nd battalion throughout (that would need to be confirmed from the Medal Roll or his Record) then according to the LLT this is the brief summary of service..

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : at Tidworth. Part of 7th Brigade in 3rd Division.

14 August 1914 : landed at Rouen.

8 October 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 25th Division.

26 October 1915 : transferred to 74th Brigade in same Division.

13 November 1917 : transferred to 108th Brigade in 36th (Ulster) Division, absorbing 7th Battalion.

8 February 1918 : transferred to 107th Brigade in same Division.

You'll note from his MIC that he also had a later 7-digit number, this tells us that he was still serving in the ranks of the Royal Irish Rifles (7006001 to 7040000), i.e. not commissioned, when the Army was renumbered in 1920. That ties in with the detail I mentioned on your other thread about the formation of the Royal Ulster Rifles, perhaps he was commissioned on or soon after it's formation?.

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1258710505.jpg

Steve,

That's a great start, I must confess that I have some trouble working out who went where etc etc when we are talking about UK divisional entities.

Had a look at the London Gazette, did't see his gazettal as an officer but no doubt it will be in there somewhere. The final mention is 17 March 1941 when he

was retired as age expired. Fits in perfectly. Thanks a lot

David

David

You will be right that his Officer Service File will still be with MOD A,there is no trace in WO339,but he night have a reference number in WO338 with a P prefix/suffix.

Sotonmate

There's no entry at all for him in WO338 which makes me think his date of commission was probably after April 1922 when the Long Number series, of which WO338 is an index, was replaced.

Steve

With all these various files that he could be under, no wonder I've never had any luck in finding him. Thanks guys

David