Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Summerdown Convalecent Camp Eastbourne

jean mcd

Does anyone have any information concerning Summerdown camp convalescent home during World War 1 or how we would go about getting hold of the records for soldiers staying there?

Many thanks Jean ;)

Jean

No hits in the NA Catalogue. I tried MH and WO prefixes and various spellings and shortening of titles. The actual spelling is SUMMERDOWN !

Our expert on such matter lives thereabouts (well ,Sussex !) I think if you PM SUE LIGHT she will know about it,and the book "Eastbourne's Great War 1914-1918"by Robert Elliston.1999. ISBN 1-85770-146-1.

Sotonmate

Edit: Just noticed that you need another post to make 10 before you can do a PM,so,think of something ! Also noticed that you spelt it right in the text,but not in the header !

Jean

No hits in the NA Catalogue. I tried MH and WO prefixes and various spellings and shortening of titles. The actual spelling is SUMMERDOWN !

Our expert on such matter lives thereabouts (well ,Sussex !) I think if you PM SUE LIGHT she will know about it,and the book "Eastbourne's Great War 1914-1918"by Robert Elliston.1999. ISBN 1-85770-146-1.

Sotonmate

Edit: Just noticed that you need another post to make 10 before you can do a PM,so,think of something !

If I can help with searches I live in Eastbourne I can take pictres of the present location if required

Photograph of the camp here. You can find the site of the camp on Google Earth. Type in" Old Camp Road, Eastbourne" and you will see its location today

TR

Capt Harold Mortimore was there as a patient in mid to late 1917; "Morty", as he was known, had commanded the first tank to go into action

Capt Harold Mortimore was there as a patient in mid to late 1917; "Morty", as he was known, had commanded the first tank to go into action

I have borrowed a book from my daughter about Eastborne and the Great War.....references to Summerdown Camp and couple of photos. Please PM me if more info required

Joan

• 3 years later...

I'm a new member and not sure if you're still following this topic, but my great-grandfather (Dr Joseph Kellett-Smith) was the Superintendant of Summerdown Camp during the war - I'm not sure of the exact date but I've posted a photo of himself and all the nurses in 1918. He was in the RAMC. He was in charge of electro-therapeutics, which sounds slightly ominous!

I do have a few stories from the camp, courtesy of my grandfather's memoirs, if you're interested.

Regards

Lara

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jean, Unfortunately the admission and discharge registers do not appear to have survived for the camp. However you could try the Imperial War Museum who hold a Souvenir publication, no date [c.1919], of the camp, reference no. K11/984. They also hold a copy of The Summerdown Journal, The representative organ of the Summerdown Military Convalescent Camp, also undated, reference no. E89/-, (copies of this publication are also held at British Library, ref P.P.4039.wcg.(2.) and the Wellcome Institute Library, ref no. RAMC/847.

I hope this helps, Ally

• 2 months later...

I'm a new member and not sure if you're still following this topic, but my great-grandfather (Dr Joseph Kellett-Smith) was the Superintendant of Summerdown Camp during the war - I'm not sure of the exact date but I've posted a photo of himself and all the nurses in 1918. He was in the RAMC. He was in charge of electro-therapeutics, which sounds slightly ominous!

I do have a few stories from the camp, courtesy of my grandfather's memoirs, if you're interested.

Regards

Lara

We would love to hear more about your great-grandfather and his time at Summerdown as we are starting a major project about the camp....please get in contact!