Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

GraemeClarke

Hi,

Can anyone post the War Diary for

1/8th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment for Sunday 27 August 1916.

Researching Private 306369 Percy George TROUGHTON KiA'd this day.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Hi,

Can anyone post the War Diary for

1/8th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment for Sunday 27 August 1916.

Researching Private 306369 Percy George TROUGHTON KiA'd this day.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Graeme,

It would probably worth your while sending a PM to forum pals Terry Carter and Alan Tucker.

All the best,

Ian.

Hi Graeme

It was a bad day for the 1/8th with 66 killed (CWGC). The difficult to read war diary goes as follows...

Had been in trenches at Ovillers

Aug 22 Relieved and went to Bouzencourt

Aug 24 To bivouac in a camp near the footbridge south of Aveluy

Aug 27th

6.30 a.m. A company working party - 1 officer and 80 men - to form forward RE Bomb dump at (code given), returned 11.30 a.m.

12.15 a.m. B Company - 1 officer and 60 men - to carry ladders up to the jumping off trench near 5.9. Could not find the ladders at the place appointed so returned c 6 a.m.Had breakfast and returned to the job after getting help from Bde. 2 p.m. Ladders in position. Feared that the movement of the ladders gave the show away to some extent.

2.55 p.m. The Bn went up the line to carry out assault on the German line.Men moved out of our trench in splendid style with not a single waverer amongst them. Unfortunately the objective - 03 - was only a very indistinct mark and when the barrage commenced it was impossible for the companies to discern their mark and as a consequence many of D company left flank men veered off too much to the left and lost touch. Captain Dennison and Lieutenant Barton of D company were killed very early in the advance and one remaining officer of this company was amongst those who had gone off to the left thus leaving the company without officers. Unfortunately the men broke into the double and as a consequence got into our own barrage. Furthermore it is certain that owing to the objective trenches being so badly obliterated many of the men overshot the objective and pushed too far ahead thus encountering our own barrage again as it lifted to its 2nd objective. C company managed to get into their objective but were heavily bombed from trenches running from (code) and owing to D company overshooting the mark and getting off too much to the left they also encountered resistance from our objective trench 25 -03.

They were accordingly forced to retire and appear to have lost heavily while doing so.

Aug 28

Formed up at entrance to Ovillers village. Called the roll before being withdrawn to Bouzencourt.

3 officers killed

4 wounded

1 wounded and missing

7 other ranks killed

146 wounded

72 missing.

The war diary also has a detailed operational order. On the way up through Ovillers village and then to Waddell Avenue. Told to advance at a steady pace right up to the barrage.

With regard to Troughton I have no extras in my Warks database. Can you provide some details? Why did an Evesham man enlist in Aston and join the 1/8th. Was he a pre-war TF?

Hi both,

many thanks for the replies.

Re Troughton, he was a Birmingham City Police Officer, commemorated on the BCP RoH in Police HQ, LLoyd House, Birmingham. (Now West Midlands Police, of course).

I have this on him if needed,

Percy was born in Greet, Gloucestershire on Thursday 14 April 1892 to George and Virginia Troughton of 16, Lime Street, Bengeworth, Evesham, Worcestershire, his father being a general labourer. He joined the Birmingham City Police on Monday 1 March 1915 at that time being a 22 years old labourer. He served with warrant number 8606 on the ‘C’ Division and had 1 admonishment.

Percy resigned from the force on Monday 15 November 1915 and enlisted in the Army at Aston, Birmingham the same day with service number 4411

He was drafted to France on Sunday 6 February 1916.

Once again, many thanks

Being cheeky, you wouldn't have the WD for the 11th Battalion, RWR for Sunday 16 July 1916

I have another officer KiA'd this day

Many thanks.

Useful biographical info which I will add to my database.

Between posting this morning and reading the reply I have actually been looking at the war diaries in the Fusiliers Museum at Warwick. I looked at 1/5th and 1/6th for June-August 1916 then started on the 11th for the same period. I got to July 9th and then gave up because I had had enough. I may return in December to start where I left off.