Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L S G C

David B

In a word no as such if he was a TA officer a TD was awarded after 20 years service basically same as a EM to other ranks except other ranks was 12 years service

MC

Regular Officers were not entitled to Long Service & Good Conduct awards {However Volunteer{pre 1908} & Territorial Force Officers had the VD then the TD}however if an enlisted man served the requisite time & had the Good Conduct he may have earned it prior to Commission.

This changed in the later 20th Century & Commissioned Officers became entitled to LSGC awards,if they had started "in the ranks"

I suspect therefore that Lieut (Later Major) D C Hamon - my g/uncle - may not have been awarded the medal. The earliest he could have joined would

have been 1904 and I think that he made Lieut by 1918 or 1919, so this would have made only 13 or 14 years. The requirement was 18 years I believe.

David

Officers were of course expected to be exemplary in their Conduct & few would do the Time...A medal would have been considered extraneous for them!!

I suspect therefore that Lieut (Later Major) D C Hamon - my g/uncle - may not have been awarded the medal. The earliest he could have joined would

have been 1904 and I think that he made Lieut by 1918 or 1919, so this would have made only 13 or 14 years. The requirement was 18 years I believe.

David

Well he may have as service for a TD counted double for each year of the war .He may have either just qualified or just missed out .This is assuming he was in the Territorial Army .If you look in the LG each TD was listed to all officers who qualified.But if you had 36 years ?? he must have again assuming TA only

MC

As far as I know he was in the permanent army having joined in approx 1904. Trouble is, as my grandfather was the eldest son and was in the RA even before this

one was born, there was little or no communication between them, and the only thing I have to go on is his MIC and the few LG entries for his promotions. I am

guessing that he was an officer approx 14 years after joining the army and therefore did not qualify for the LSGC.

David