Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isaac Althorp Ridgway

Mark Abbott

During my research into Lt Col Thomas Ridgway DSO, MC & Bar, I have discovered that his brother Isaac Althorp Ridgway served with the AIF and died of wounds. His name appears on the Lone Pine Memorial.

Does anyone have any information on him? I have already searched the CWGC site, which provides the following:

In Memory of

Second Lieutenant ISAAC ALTHORP RIDGWAY

6th Bn., Australian Infantry, A.I.F

who died age 28

on 12 May 1915

Son of Thomas Joseph and Emily Ridgway, of Wildersmoor, Lymm, Cheshire, England.

Any help would be welcome. Do his medals still exist?

Many thanks.

Mark

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Mark,

Start with the embarkation rolls, which are arranged in Bn order, and then you could make a request for his service record from the Australian Govt website.

www.naa.gov.au

click on The Collection

click on Defence

click on Conflicts

find WW1 records of service

Nominal Roll & Embarkation Roll:

www.awm.gov.au

click on Australians at War

click on Biographical Databases

find Australians who served in WW1

click on Roll of Honour or

Nominal Roll

Ian :)

Ian,

Many thanks for that. I had no idea that so much information was available on the Australians. Why can't the National Record Ofice do a similar job?

Your help is greattly appreciated.

Mark

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Mark,

If you mean our NA/PRO, we are moving forward with the medal index cards going on-line. However the types of records kept are different, more numerous and most important of all the Germans dropped a bomb on where the records were kept; the diggers and Canadians didn't have this problem.

Ian :)

Hi Mark,

Am at work at the moment. I have the 6th Btn history and will see if he is mentioned or there is a photo of him when I get home.....although my Australian friends Steve or Andrew may beat me to it....

Regards

Tim D

Hi Mark

Go to the Anzac Officers Died at Gallipoli website

http://www.anzacs.org

Bryn Dolan had done a great job with this site which lists all the officers killed at Gallipoli who were serving with the Anzac forces.

It's in alphabetical so just click on R.

Isaac Ridgway's photo and information is located there.

I don't have the 6th Battalion history so hopefully Tim can shed more light in regards to Ridgway's death.

Cheers

Andrew

Mark,

Had a look at the history. Ridgway is not mentioned in the text. The battalion lost 16 officers KIA during the action at Krithia. He appears in the nominal roll with the 2nd Reinforcements.

Regards

Tim D

Mark,

Any idea why his middle name is Althorp? The only Althorp I know is the stately home of the Spencers (Diana et al) just outside Northampton. Any connection?

Andrew and Blackblue,

Many thanks for the information. The photo is excellent.

I wonder where his medals are? His brother Thomas Ridgway, was a solicitor in Warrington and a friend of mine completed his Articles with him. No mention was ever made of Isaac; I wonder why he went to Australia in the first place?

I am going to obtain a copy of Thomas' will to see if anything is mentioned.

Mark

Kate,

I had the same thoughts. From the info provided by Andrew, it would appear that his mother's maiden name was not Althorp. I will now try to find info on her and see where that takes us.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

You can look for his Army Service record on the Australian National archives site.

Go to the WWI records section and see if his name is entered, if not ask them to either enter it and digitize his record for free or you can pay some $15 aust dollars to buy his record and have it sent to you.

Either way you will be ablr to read what he got up to during the short war he had.

S.B

• 3 years later...

Last week we were clearing out my father-in-laws house and found a kit bag belonging to Lt I A Ridgway. The stencil shows he served in the 6th Battalion of the AIF. After a quick internet search found it's the same chap you're researching! Did you find out anything else? I've searched all the databases mentioned on the forum.

No idea where my Father in Law got it from.

Hi

I'm glad this thread came back up as recently while visiting St John's Church in Fremantle Western Australia I was able to take some photographs of memorials & plaques in the Church to Lt Ridgway. He had worked at Fremantle Harbour for a few years prior to the war and had obviously made a big impression on the locals.

Some of the photos are below.

The first is of a carved angel near the altar. There are two of these and 4 soldiers are commemorated on them. Lt Ridgway has one to himself and the other three soldiers are named on the other angel.

post-43-1204168921.jpg

• 2 months later...

Isaac Althorpe RIDGWAY

Religion: Church of England

Address: Commonwealth Lighthouse Service, 395 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria

Marital status: Single

Age at embarkation: 28

Next of kin: Father, F J Ridgway, Wildesnoor, Lynim, Warrington, Cheshire, England

Enlistment date: 16 December 1914

Rank on enlistment: 2nd Lieutenant

Unit name: 6th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement

AWM Embarkation Roll number: 23/23/2

Embarkation details: Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A46 Clan Macgillivray on 2 February 1915

Rank from Nominal Roll: 2nd Lieutenant

Fate: Died of wounds 12 May 1916

Age at death: 28

Commemoration details The Lone Pine Memorial (Panel 25), Gallipoli, Turkey

Commemorated in St John's Church, Fremantle, Western Australia. Parents: Thomas and Emily RIDGWAY, Wildersmoor, Lynum, Cheshire, England

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Cheers,

David

I realise this is an old thread ... but more information has been digitised since it started.

You will find the unit diaries on line at the War Memorial website.

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/index.asp

The Roll of Honour is here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/roh/index.asp

You would be looking for in particular the .pdf Circular on the right hand side. If it is not there it means that they were not able to contact the family at the time the circulars were taken.

The official war history is here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/index.asp

Unit information is here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/

Red Cross wounded and missing files are here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/redcross/

Honours and Awards are here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/honours/

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 2 months later...

2nd Lieutenant Isaac Althorpe RIDGWAY, 6th Battalion, Died of wounds at Sea, aboard HMHS 'Braemar Castle', on 12 May 1915, aged 28.

Born Lymm, Cheshire, England, 24 Aug 1886 (Birth cert. 1886 Sept. qtr Altrincham 8a. 208 (UK)).

Educated Mostyn House School, Park Gate, Cheshire; Brighton College, 1901-4; and Manchester University, (Victoria University of Manchester), England. B.Sc. (hons).

Civil engineer, Commonwealth Lighthouse Service, 395 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria.

Father; Thomas Joseph Ridgway. Mother; Emily Ridgway, Wildersmoor, Lymm, Cheshire, England.

Photos: ICE Memorial Volume p93. de Ruvigny Vol.1 p 306.

Served in 1st Cheshires, Liverpool Rifles, Senior Cadets Area 48, Camberwell, Victoria.

Came to Australia at age 24. 'He was Master of Science and an Associate Member Institute Civil Engineers. Before leaving for Australia was a [?]CHECK at the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board, Liverpool. When war broke out he was Lighthouse Engineer of Queensland.' (AWM 131 Informant mother; Emily Ridgway, Wildersmoor, Lymm, Cheshire, England. Other contact listed as Lieut. Colonel T. Ridgway DSO MC, of Beech House, Lymm, Cheshire, England).

Wounded 8th May 1915, Helles.

Youngest son. Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) with honours. Obtained the Whitworth Engineering Certificate of the Victoria University of Manchester. In 1910 became Master of science at same university. Elected associate member, Institute of Civil Engineers in 1911. 'After holding several important positions in England, he accepted, in July 1911, post of chief assistant to the engineer, Fremantle graving dock.' On 10 Dec 1913 was appointed district engineer, Queensland coast, in the Lighthouse Service department of Trade and Customs of the Commonwealth of Australia. Severely wounded at Gallipoli, died 24th May. (Melbourne Herald 3 Jun 1915 p1).

Embarked at Melbourne aboard HMAT A46 'Clan Macgillivray' 2 Feb 1915.

Listed as 'wounded', casualty list Melbourne Herald 15 May 1915 p1.

Appointed resident engineer for a graving dock in Western Australia in 1911. (The Institution of Civil Engineers Memorial Volume' p93).

Inspector under the Navigation Act. (The Argus 17 May 1915 p6).

Private Sam Norris (6th Battalion) was wounded at Helles and put aboard HM 'Braemar Castle':

'Several died incl. Lt. Ridgeway.' (Diary entry for 12 May 1915. Diary ML MSS 2933).

'Lieutenant I. A. Ridgway, of the 6th Battalion, whose name appeared amongst the wounded at the Dardanelles in a recent casualty list, was well known in this state. For some time he was assistant to Mr. Ramsbotham, Engineer for Harbors and Rivers at Fremantle. About twelve months ago he left this state, and subsequently joined one of the Victorian contingents.' (Geraldton Express, WA, 26 May 1915 p1).

'RIDGWAY, ISAAC ALTHORP, M.Sc., A.M.I.C.E., Lieut., 6th Battn. Australian Imperial Force, yst. s. of Thomas Joseph Ridgway, of Wildersmoor, Lymm, Cheshire, J.P., Registrar of Warrington County Court, by his wife, Emily, dau. Of Robert Dawbarn; b. Lymm, 24 Aug. 1886; educ. Mostyn House School, Parkgate, Brighton College, and Victoria University ; was articled as a pupil to Mr. Anthony G. Lyster, Engineer-in-Chief of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in 1907, and in 1913 was appointed Government Engineer for Queensland in the Federal Light-house Service, When the European War broke out in Aug. 1914 lie was in the extreme north of Queensland, and with great difficulty obtained permission to volunteer for Imperial service with the Commonwealth Imperial Force. He was given a commission in the 6th Battn. In Dec. ; left for Egypt, Jan. ; went to the Dardanelles, April, 1915, and died at sea 12 May following, from wounds received in action during the advance on Krithia on the 8th. unm. Letters from the Gen., and many officers, speak of his great courage and wonderful bravery, and of his power with the men, and state how greatly his death was deplored by one and all. He became M.Sc. in 1910, and A.M.I.C.E. in 1911, and was a member of several Engineering and Geological Societies both at home, and abroad.' (Photo and biography in de Ruvigny Vol.1 p 306).

'Wounded, nature of wound not specified 8.5.1915.

Died of wounds 12.5.1915, Two bullets involving bladder & rectum & epegastrium, place Lat 34 4' N Longt 28 5' E.' (Army Form D.825/2.16-C.2024).

'Buried Lat. 34 21' N Long 28 5' E. Captain Chaplain T.T. Taylor officiated.' (B103).

A letter was received by the Department of Trade and Customs, Melbourne, in March 1916, from Lieutenant Ridgway's parents, Mr & Mrs T.J. Ridgway, of Wildersmoor, Lymm, Cheshire, England, stating that none of their son's personal effects had reached them. (Letter from Comptroller of Department of Trade and Customs, of which Lieutenant Ridgway's employer (the Lighthouse Branch) was a part, to the Department of Defence, Melbourne; in service dossier).

• 1 year later...
Guest Laurie Favelle
Last week we were clearing out my father-in-laws house and found a kit bag belonging to Lt I A Ridgway. The stencil shows he served in the 6th Battalion of the AIF. After a quick internet search found it's the same chap you're researching! Did you find out anything else? I've searched all the databases mentioned on the forum.

No idea where my Father in Law got it from.

Birch1,

Hope you are still connected to this thread in some way. I am currently researching the WW1 who were employees of the Australian Customs Department. You may be aware that Ridgway's kit was mislaid and your discovery in 2008 may provide a clue. I am most interested in learning more and would be grateful if you could contact me either through this medium or by email at lauriefavelle1@bigpond.com . (I am located in Canberra, Australia)

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Laurie Favelle