Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very late awarding of foriegn decorations

27thBN

I have 2 chaps with Serbian decorations Order of the white eagle 5th class with swords and a 4th class with swords both men one a captain other a major were awarded along with about 60 men these awards in late September 1922 .ideas as to why so late both are for Salonika the awards are rare only 162 issued, but why so late after the war almost 4 years .Slow paperwork :blink::blink::blink:

thanks MC

Hi MC

The last gazetted foreign awards that I know of were in March 1926. This would have been all the end of war awards. Each unit would have been asked to submit names for consideration & the process, I imagine to be very time consuming as the war was finished & most of the troops, including the people who worked out who got what, would have been only to eager to get out of the forces & go home.

This is only what I think, someone else may have a different theory.

Peter

Peter 1926 and i thought late 1922 was late enough .Well i suppose they did have other things to do after the war .Like try and forget it and move on for one .Peter as the foreign gong wizard do you have a 2nd/lt J A Stewart R Scots listed for a criox de guerre french by any chance :unsure: :unsure:

Thanks again MC

Hi MC

Try this

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/314...upplements/9221

In the "St Andrews University Roll as 18/ KRRC late Pte R Scots"

Hope this helps.

Peter

Certainly does you must have a big collection of resources. I didn't even know what the j a initials were i found a J A Stewart R Scots and assumed it was he, hard to do research when do not at least have his full first name

thanks yet again

MC

Given the political  and administrative reorganisation (and turmoil) of the time as  various countries  became Yugoslavia (and Serbia became part, albeit a dominant one,  of a larger state) I'm not surprised that the processing leading to the award of Serbian decorations was lengthy.

Exchange of medals 1914-1928.

Order of the White Eagle 5th Class issue to the British Army 267.

4th Class 231

The last LG I can find for Serbia is the 31st March 1925.

In Addition to the Allied Decorations being "late"that there were a raft of UK awards for Salonika that were not promulgated in the London Gazette until 1919/1920

Exchange of medals 1914-1928.

Order of the White Eagle 5th Class issue to the British Army 267.

4th Class 231

The last LG I can find for Serbia is the 31st March 1925.

Hi Themonsstar

Is this "Exchange of medals 1914-1928." a reference book, if so what is the full title & author please?

Peter

Quick one is the higher number of awards with and without swords ???

MC