Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enfield Bayonet

genegwf

While visiting a friend this weekend we walked into a small shop filled with a little bit of everything. In one display case I noticed an Enfield bayonet with scabbard. I checked the bayonet and found only two markings. One is a pair of short lines and the other was a" tigers face" engraving. Both markings were are on the same side of the blade and there were no other markings anywhere on the bayonet or scabbard.

I did not have a camera, so no pictures. I realize my description is vague at best, but the "tiger face" marking really has my interest! Does anyone recognize this type of marking or know anything about the bayonet?

Thanks,

Gene

This sounds like one of the Patt.'07 bayonets supplied with the order for 20,000 SMLE rifles to Siam by BSA in about 1920.

Bootnecks can probably give you the full story on the markings if he sees this.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks TonyE.

Hello Gene,

What you found was in fact a Pattern 1907 bayonet supplied to Siam. All British and Commonwealth markings were ground off before shipping out, and the Siamese 'Smiling Tiger' emblem was stamped on the left blade flat [ricasso]. Also, the only other marking normally to be found on the same ricasso is the serial number.

Due to the moist weather conditions of Siam, the leather bayonet scabbard was swapped for one of all steel = the chape and locket being welded on to a steel replacement for the leather center section.

I've attached a pic of the '07' Siamese markings, and the pic also includes the steel scabbard. Not all British and commonwealth markings were completely erased however, as these markings do sometimes appear as faint outlines on items found.

Seph

post-18081-1258385839.jpg

Thanks to all whom replied,

The photo is what I found in the shop. Thanks for the information.

Gene

Nobody has mentioned this but these fetch quite a premium because of their relative scarcity.... if it was priced as a bog-standard 1907 ($45-70 US would be "normal") then it would be a real bargain. They routinely sell for at least twice that on eBay - sometimes more.

Chris

Here is what the equivalent marking on the rifle looks like.

post-14525-1258434375.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons