Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Granddad found - Samuel Wood

Woody

After a great deal of searching, I have finally found proof that my Great Granddad was Samuel Wood 2171 Notts and Derbys. There were many options of Samuel Wood in Notts

and the Absent Voters List and the 1911 census have helped me crack the problem. I am struggling to interpret the Medal Index Card as he seems to have moved around a lot.

Any help or suggestions for further research / sources greatly appreciated.

Thanks Woody

post-2741-1258214410.jpg

The TF Battalions of the Notts and Derby Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) landed in France on 28 Feb, so with a 4 digit number, I would think he was in one of them. I would think that he went from N&D to South Staffs and then ASC (RASC) as the medal Rolls are from RASC.

46th (North Midland) Division,

139th Brigade - 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th and 1/8th Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)

Start a thread with Sherwood Foresters and Mike Briggs the expert on 1/6th should reply. Also others with a vast knowledge of the Sherwoods.

TF North Staffordshire Regiment Bns also served in 46th Division until 1916.

Steve M

His last unit was part of the Army Service Corps as that unit issued his medals (albeit named to the Notts & Derby regiment).

The Notts & Derby Regiment was the first served overseas with, in one of the Territorial battalions of the Notts & Derby Brigade (later 139th Brigade) of the 46th (North Midland) Division.

There are four men from the various Sherwood Foresters T.F. battalions with a 2171 number:

Ernest J Mellor Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment R 2171, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment R 240451, Royal Engineers 487266, Royal Engineers WR/176899 (240451 is a 6th battalion number)

Louis Noel Durand - Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment 2171, Army Service Corps S4/244745, Army Cyclist Corps (TF) 1619 (8th Notts & Derby per Records)

William E Raisin Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 2171, Labour Corps 515314

Samuel Wood Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment R (Territorial Forces) 2171, Army Service Corps T/384498, North Staffordshire Regiment 235159

which leaves either the 1/5th or the 1/7th for Samuel Wood, with the other being William Raisin's battalion.

William E Raisin may be William Ernest Raisin (born 1894) of Derby, which would likely put him in the 1/5th battalion, so Samuel Wood MAY have been originally in the Nottingham battalion - the 1/7th. Was he from Nottingham?

The service records of the similarly numbered Charles Kirk (Notts & Derby Nos 6862/267664 and North Staffordshire Regiment No. 235153, suggest that he may have returned to the Front from a Territorial Reserve battalion of the Notts & Derby Regiment on 3-8-1917 and transferred to the North Staffordshire Regiment in France on 21-8-1917, joining the 2/5th Battalion of the North Staffordshire Regiment on 22-8-1917.

T/384497 Jeremiah Thomas transferred to the Army Service Corps on 8-12-1917 and posted to No 2 Depot (at Woolwich) of the Army Service Corps. He was soon transferred to Class T Army Reserve and later discharged from the Army in February 1918, and did not serve overseas again.

So I would suggest:

Enlisted into the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment at the outbreak of war.

Possibly posted to 1/7th Battalion.

Embarked to France 28-2-1915.

Returned to the UK either wounded or ill, likely some time in 1916.

Posted to a Reserve Battalion of the Notts & Derby Regiment some time in 1916/1917.

Returned to the Front in August 1917 intending to go back to a battalion of the Sherwood Foresters but instead transferred to the North Staffordshire Regiment, probably to 2/5th Battalion.

Returned to the UK in 1917 mid- to late-1917.

Transferred to the Army Service Corps in December 1917.

Steve.

Hi Woody,

Success at last! Well done on tracking down the elusive Samuel. That's taken a few years. Fingers crossed, I should be at Kew on Saturday, so will order the medal rolls and copy them for you.

Cheers,

Stuart