Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC School Oxford

IJDALLINGER

Could any kind person pass information on to me re the above school please?

Could any kind person pass information on to me re the above school please?

My UK stations file is in landscape format, which doesn't lend itself well to this site's page layout, but you should be able to pick the bones out of this (the asterisks just indicate non-flying):

OXFORD* Christchurch College, Oxford, Oxfordshire*

Ground school RFC/RAF 4.1916 – 1.1919

2 School of Instruction* : 3.4.1916 formed : 27.10.1916 re-designated 2 School of Military Aeronautics*

2 School of Military Aeronautics* : 27.10.1916 formed ex 2 School of Instruction* : 1.4.1918 re-designated 2 School of Aeronautics*

5 School of Military Aeronautics* : 1.8.1917 formed : 8.9.1917 Denham Golf Course, Denham, Buckinghamshire*

2 School of Aeronautics* : 1.4.1918 formed ex 2 School of Military Aeronautics* : 24.1.1919disbanded

SE Area 1918

Hi Ivor,

The schools were the second step in aircrew training. After the initial six weeks (later much shorter) of 'square bashing' etc at Uxbridge or similar, the School of Military Aeronautics (I think there was also one at Reading) provided the instruction into principles of flight, airframes and engines.

Once successfully passed out of the School, it was then off to Flying School.

Pass on our best regards to Russell!

Steve

Picture shows 'sprogs' outside one of the huts at Denham. Only after graduating would they lose the bands on their caps and be allowed the coveted maternity jacket!

post-8088-1258460370.jpg

Thank you both and yes I shall. Thanks

• 8 years later...

Hi all,

Resurrecting this long dormant thread as I'm currently researching an airman buried in a CWGC plot in Cardiff. The information I have on him says he was a member of No. 2 School of Military Aeronautics. Can anyone shed any light on where this unit was located and why this airman might be buried in Cardiff?

No 2 SMA was in Oxford.  A prime reason for being in buried in Cardiff would be a family connection.  Do you have his family background?

Max

• Admin
11 minutes ago, MRAR said:

Hi all,

Resurrecting this long dormant thread as I'm currently researching an airman buried in a CWGC plot in Cardiff. The information I have on him says he was a member of No. 2 School of Military Aeronautics. Can anyone shed any light on where this unit was located and why this airman might be buried in Cardiff?

Welcome to the Forum

If you could post what details you have for the Airman concerned the experts will be able to assist all the better

Good luck with your research

David

MaxD types faster and knows more than I do!

Edited by DavidOwen
too slow...