Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ambulance Barge Flotilla

Julian Whippy

Can any one shed any more light on the Ambulance Barge Flotilla.?

I am researching the Battles of Aubers Ridge/ Festubert 1915 for a forthcoming tour and have found small referance to the Flotilla and wonder if anyone knows more about them/ photos.etc

Most gratefull

JW

Julian

There are quite a lot of photos of various aspects of Hospital barges in 'Sub Cruce Candida' - the book published for the centenary of a hundred years of Army Nursing. Most tend to focus rather more on the nurses than the barges, but there is one of a ward, one of the lift that transported stretcher cases from the deck to below, and a couple of the outside, taken at times of relaxation to show that the nurses did everything except nurse! I will happily scan them and send them if they are of any interest - there is some useful descriptive text accompanying them.

Regards - Sue

Thanks thats a great offer.

I am now just trying to send my details to you, but it's not working too well

JW

• 1 year later...

Sue.. . Is there any chance you can post a couple of those pictures to the forum? I would be very interested in a couple of the nurses or barges. My point is to have a few general pictures of Aubers Ridge for a book discussion I am leading. Thanks, Andy

A list of units formed for service overseas by the RAMC in the Great War gives 4 Ambulance Flotillas

Unfortunately it does n't tell us where they served or how large they were....

Your wish is my command... :)

Sue

"At the other end of the scale, a flotilla of six barges – one for personnel, one for stores and four for patients – was formed at Rouen early in the war and designated No. 1 Ambulance Flotilla. The ward barges were each about the size of a Thames lighter and were grouped in pairs – each having 50 beds. But this flotilla was not extensively used. In March, 1915, four additional flotillas were constructed – six barges being used in each – but the ward barges only had 30 beds. Each of these barges had a kitchen, a dispensary and operating facilities, and was fitted with a generator for electric light. The barges were intended to carry the more seriously wounded troops, and were towed either singly or in pairs – a medical officer being in charge of each pair of barges.

Patients were carried on stretchers from the canal bank – usually up an unrailed gang plank; from the top of the barge they were lowered by ropes and pulleys to the wards below. The barges moved at about three miles an hour; normally they did not travel at night, and each journey lasted from 24 to 48 hours. They were employed chiefly on the Lys, La Bassée and the Somme canals, and during 1916 these flotillas carried nearly 17,000 patients in 565 barge journeys. In the tragic period of the first battle of the Somme there were 18 barge journeys with 540 patients in the first three days alone. In the whole war over 53,000 sick and wounded were transported by barge in France and Flanders."

Source: John Plumridge 'Hospital Ships and Ambulance Trains'