Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

nurse+C.M.B.L.O.S

Julie w

Julie

It probably depends to an extent on how old she was. To have the certificate of the L.O.S. means that she must have been working as a midwife prior to the Midwives Act of 1902. There was no national standard of training and no regulation of midwives at that time. Many midwives were unsafe, untrained and often illiterate. Those that held the L.O.S. certificate had taken an examination that gave them a standing as 'skilled midwives' and deemed safe practitioners, but they need not necessarily have any formal training, and wasn't just for women living/working in London. She will have an entry in the Midwives Roll at The National Archives, which might shed more light - the reference for 1911 is DV7/9. If you let me have her name I'll get it out next time I'm at TNA and have a look at her entry.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry to break in on this thread, but I wondered if you might have a photo of Mildred Constance Davis who died of pneumonia whilst serving with the French Red Cross in October, 1918?

Any other info you might have would be most useful. Sorry if this is outside your area, but worth an ask anyway!!

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Sue,her name was florence bissell born 1874 liverpool west derby

I'll add her to my list - probably towards the end of next week.

Sue

Sorry to break in on this thread, but I wondered if you might have a photo of Mildred Constance Davis who died of pneumonia whilst serving with the French Red Cross in October, 1918?

Any other info you might have would be most useful. Sorry if this is outside your area, but worth an ask anyway!!

No Robert, sorry - I have very few named pictures of VADs, and virtually none of those who worked for the French Red Cross. Always difficult to find individual women.

Regards --- Sue