Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wiltshire regiment officers uniform

museumtom

I just picked up a ww1 uniform, Sam browne and Cap to an officer in the Wiltshire regiment in a local carboot sale. They are in top condition. The Cap has a red band around it and a bullion badge of the Kings crown with a lion ontop. The tunic is sporting WW1 trio medal bars with a MID oak leaf and Military Cross bar. The only name I can find is on the Sam brown .E.Cooper. The epoulettes have three pips and a crown. The front of the Collar has two red (Chevrons) What is the rank of this officer? Is there any data on an E Cooper of this regt. Obviously if he is wearing ww1 medal bars then he survived.

Any information would be most appreciated. The whole lot was 50 euro or about £37.

Regards.

Tom in Tipperary

At a car boot sale in Fethard. There is not usually any good stuff at it because the guys who are there to set up early get first dibbs. The gates dont open to the public until 11 am and the stall holders are there much earlier. There are two really good Car boot fairs in Castletownroche and Rathcormac. Kilkenny (Callan) is gone to the dogs. Clara is a good place though but ya got to get there early. Whay do you collect? I am on my way out now to play a bit of music in Thurles. If you make it I will buy you a pint.

Tom

The rank badges for the Brigadier suggest that ithe tunic was post First World War. They were changed just after the war when a Brigadier ceased to be a general.

Greg

Tom

Looking forward to coming down some time. How often are they on? Nothing around Dublin regarding medals and militaria.

Stephen

On every sunday but militaria is a rareity. Let me know whne you are coming down and we'll meet.

Tom

I meant to add that there is a Mitiraia fair on in the 8th of may in the North Star Hotel opposite Amiens Street Station. Starts at 10am. mention my name, it will still cost you entrance fee but ya have a name.

Tom Burnell

Thank you Greg. Every clue helps.

regards.

Tom.

Tom

I've been a regular at the North Star for a while now unfortunately nothing has been catching the eye of late!!. A bit closer to Tipp can you tell me what the museum near Cashel is like, I have passed by many times and never went in. Would you recommend a visit??

Stephen

If you are a regular at the North Star Hotel then you would know the guy who sells bayonets, De-ac ammo and swords..well thats me.

The cashel folk village is run by Martin Dwyer his interests are rusticana and the Irish Civil war and old IRA artifacts from that period. He does not sell or trade but has a vast collection of books covering that period and he is compiling a database of all the civil war deaths and memorial in the country.

The famine and War Museum in Thurles is where I keep all my collection of weapons machine guns,rifles,bayonets SMGs, etc. They are quite safe and the security is brilliant. Its well worth a visit.

Tom

Tom

Wont be around this weekend as I'm going to your neck of the woods (Cahir) for the weekend. Thanks for the info on the museum, this time I'm definitely going to pop in

Stephen

Cahir is only 30 minutes from Here.

Tom.