Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3/1 Brecknockshire Battalion

Rycroft

I was just looking at a Soldier Thomas Charles Stanton who signed up 20/7/1915 3/1 Brecknokshire battalion I think aged 38.Regimental number was 3355.

On his medal card it shows him as S W Borders reg no 201119

then Northumberland Fus reg no 205362

and S Staffs Reg reg no 204809

The only award for him is the British Medal. Looking at his service record I think he went to Bombay with the South Staffs 25/3/1916 arriving 1/5/1916.

it also looks like he got 14 days confined to barracks 31/12/1918 for disobedience of battalion orders whilst on active service ??

I would appreciate it if some one could look at this and help me understand how he moved between 3 regiments ?

Thanks Rycroft

Rycroft

I've had a look at his record and this is how I understand it....

20/07/1915 - Attested & Embodied as 3355 3/1 Brecknockshire Battalion South Wales Borderers.

25/03/1916 - Embarked Devonport.

27/03/1916 - Posted to 1/1 Brecknockshire Battalion South Wales Borderers (who were in India).

01/05/1916 - Disembarked Bombay.

Early 1917 - Renumbered in South Wales Borderers as 201119 as part of Territorial Force renumbering.

27/03/1917 - Transferred & Posted to 2nd Garrison Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and renumbered 205362.

18/06/1917 - Transferred & Posted to 1st Garrison Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment and renumbered 204809.

01/01/1919 - Posted Home.

15/03/1919 - Disembodied on Demobilisation.

The transfer from South Wales Borderers to Northumberland Fusiliers was under Authority Telegram from A. Gen. India to G.O.C. 5th (Mhow) Division No. 44996/5 (AG) dated 24/02/1917, the transfer to the South Staffordshire Regiment was under Authority Cable G.O.C. Bombay 13/6/A dated 26/04/1918 (looks like it took some while for the paperwork to catch up with the transfer).

Regards

Steve

Rycroft

I've had a look at his record and this is how I understand it....

Thank you SteveE that is very much appreciated.

I understand he wouldn't receive the 14/15 Star but, wonder why he didn't receive the Victory Medal. Would it be because in India he was not actually fighting??

Once again your help is appreciated.

Rycroft

Very basically the requirement for the award of the Victory Medal was to have entered a theatre of war, India (with the exception of some border areas) was not regarded as such and therefore he wouldn't be entitled.

Steve

Rycroft

Very basically the requirement for the award of the Victory Medal was to have entered a theatre of war, India (with the exception of some border areas) was not regarded as such and therefore he wouldn't be entitled.

Thank you once again for your assistance

Rycroft

• 5 months later...

Hi Rycroft and Steve

Rycroft, I just found your post when I was doing a search as I am also interested in the same Thomas Charles Stanton. Are you related to him in any way?

Steve, also thanks for your answer to Rycroft which actualy answered what I was wondering but had not got around to posting the question.

Linda