Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 inch Stokes mortar

RobL

Also posted this in 'Equipment' but suppose more relevant here (?)

Seeming as i'm acquiring one, i'm trying to find out more information about the 3 inch Stokes Mortar and its crews - was there any difference in the webbing worn by Stokes Trench Mortar crew as opposed to the standard infantry 08/14 pattern webbing? Also, what insignia would they have worn, especially in regards to shoulder titles? It is my understanding that the Trench Mortar batteries were numbered after the Brigade they were in - so 110th Brigade would have had 110 Trench Mortar Battery - would they have worn the shoulder titles of the Regiment they were attached to? 110th Brigade for most of the war solely consisted of Leicestershire Regiment Battalions, so would have thought the mortar crews would wear Leicester shoulder titles, however of course not all brigades were made up of one Regiment's battalions.

Can anyone reccomend any books related to the 3 inch Stokes Mortar - especially any personal accounts by those that crewed them?

Cheers, Rob

cool! where you getting that from? i've got a lovely livens with all the bits ect, but a stokes....if you've got a spare one...

matt

have you got the ss manual? about the only thing i've got, alng with one of the 3" bombs

matt

Hi Matt, unfortunately not the real thing, only a wooden mock up (so definitely not going to fire anything out of it!). Unfortunately haven't got the ss manual - are you able to scan it, or do you know of any available?

Cheers, Rob

i do have one of the manuals, but where? (moved house) but i can see you have got one on the way, but if anyhting happens ans you still need to see one in the future let me know - i do hope to have eventually unpacked! i've got a vickers, lewis gun and the base plate of a livens i can't find!

matt

Cheers guys - Paul is that the 1919 one? Found a company called MLRS online doing reprints of it so have ordered it for Christmas - looking forward to receiving the Stokes! Won't be able to take this one through London all day unlike the Cooper though

• 4 years later...

Sorry to interrupt this thread.

I am thinking of creating one in 1:6 scale so was wondering if anyone can help me with the dimensions of the Stokes mortar please?

I have attached a photo of my work in progress to give an idea of what I am trying to create.

Thanks for looking,

Bern

post-105787-0-11841200-1392977426_thumb.