Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David Cutler

MarkCDodd

David Cutler, born 1881 Smethwick, Staffordshire. Lived in Birmingham, Warwickshire for many years prior to WWI.

Apparently he served in some part of the armed forced peior to WWI and this was his uniform.

Any clues? He look slike he has a few clasps on the medal. Does it look familiar?

DavidCutler.jpg

Difficult to tell from the picture - a good possible candidate would be the Queens South Africa Medal (for service in the Boer War).

For some reason no image appears at this end.

Now I know why there's no image and that includes the host site - I work in Saudi Arabia and they've blocked access to "photobucket".

Hello,

He looks like he is wearing a Hussar uniform. I am not too sure when they stopped wearing the pill box hat, but probably around 1905 I think. The medal does look very much like the QSA for the South Africa War of 1899-02. I also believe that the type of sword he has is the 1895 pattern.

It's a great photo. Not all Hussar regiments wore collar badges with this uniform, so the unit my be I.D'ed from that.

Regards,

Stewart

In the regular cavalry rolls of the Boer War there is this entry.

4813 Private D.Cutler, 8th Hussars, 4-clasp medal.

This is the badge for 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

8thKingsIrishHussarsBQVC_A.jpg

Tried zooming in on the badge on the collar but the image is not of good enough quality but it certainly resembles this shape.

There are certainly several clasps on the medal.

So I think the mystery is solved.

Excellent.

So the recruitment wasn't based on home county then? He was living in Staffordshire or Warwickshire during this time so I though the Irish Hussars would be a stange choice.

Yes, I had a good look at that site earlier but it generally shows the officers and usually with their busbies.

They must have been an impressive site on parade. I don't know how practicle it all was in the African sunshine though....