Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal identification required

mattgibbs

This photo was taken on the Isle of Wight at C G Hayward studio. I wonder if anyone can ID the medal?

There is a naval white topped cap with a shipping line's badge on it also.

post-42730-1257944427.jpg

Peter;

Many thanks. I thought of Belgium or Holland based on a quick squint at ebay, but didn't find the right ribbon so far.

I will browse the site you mentioned.

Could it perhaps be the Order of Orange Nassau?

thanks

Matt

It might be in the London Gazette, if you share the name (as you have to apply for permission to wear from the sovereign).

Hello Phil;

Alas, I wish I could share the name, but nothing is written on the back except the photo studio.

I was rather hoping to be able to ID the shipping line and the medal and then try some LG look-ups. I am guessing there will not be too many clergymen with such an award.

Regards

Matt

He may also be in Crockford's, the clerical directory. But not knowing a name would rather make it a needle in a haystack job...

Phil;

Great idea. I had thought about this with my 1948 copy but mused he could easily have passed on due to old age by then. I recalled the directory being on Ancestry, and with a little bit of searching I've found only 1 chaplain who was awarded the Order of Orange-Nassau, an RN Chaplain and spent some time living on the Isle of Wight. I think his name is a likely candidate!

Revd. Edgar William Greenshield. He was curate at St John the Baptist Church at Carisbrooke IOW and an RN Chaplain 1916 - 1920. Awarded the order in 1911. At this time he was with the Church Missionary Society at Blacklead Island, an anglican mission and whaling station.

thanks

Matt

**edit** It IS him. Amazingly I typed the name in Google and it came up with another pic of him. I can't believe it! http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/stalbansrcchurch/php80iiI8

The forum shoots... scores... result! :D

Mind you, you wonder why an English/British chaplain, serving on a remote Canadian whaling station got an award from the Dutch?

1. I know Canada wasn't strictly independent in 1911

2. Perhaps there's someone out there with a PhD in Whaling Studies who can suggest!

EDIT: And there's your answer... ->

Certainly! Thanks guys.

The reason for the order is in a book called From Sea to Sea which covers the mission chaplains and mentions:

This year, 1911, the

Queen of Holland conferred upon the Rev. E. W.

T. Greenshield the Order of Orange-Nassau, as a

mark of appreciation of the services rendered to

the crew of a Dutch schooner wrecked in the

Arctic in 1909, and placed a sum of 200 guilders

at his disposal " in order to enable him to reward,

in such manner as he may deem appropriate, the

Eskimo who assisted him in feeding the said crew."

There might be a Foreign Office file with correspondence relating to the incident and the awarding of the medal, but you'll have to go to Kew for that.

Probably-but there is also a Dutch medals forum with O- ODN experts on it. The cites for the order are all still around and accessible in the Hague.

Stijn David may be able to help. He's on GMIC. once in a while. I'll contact him.

• 7 months later...

A while ago now, but I wondered if anyone had contatct details for someone who can access the Order of Orange Nassau citations?

thanks

Matt