Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quarrying Companies, RE

Brenda elen

Hi

I've just had a copy of an extremely interesting (to me!) programme for a Concert that took place in Rinxent on Christmas Day, 1918. All who took part are from the Quarrying companies - except one from YMCA (Mr Parri-Williams).

Quarrying Company numbers included are :-

320 - L Cpl WHJones,Cpl DOWilliams, Sgt JTOwen, Spr LJones

323 - Spr S Thomas

326 - Lt JRoberts, Sgt JRoberts, LCpl DRoberts, LCpl CSloane, SPR M.WILLIAMS

328 - Cpl Brwynog Jones, LCpl HBott, LCpl CHobbin, Spr DJones

348 - Spr RGriffiths

From the inside, Spr M.Williams has to be my Grandfather - only soloist. I also know who HBott was.

The only unifying factor, apart from being in Quarrying Cos, is that they would all have been Welsh-speaking.

Interestingly, the Choir was Company 320.

So, going back to what Dave Ricketts told me ages go, here we have quite a few of the companies brought together at the Marquise-Rinxent quarries. The Great-grandson of the wartime owner is now in charge, and the Salle M.Henaux is still standing although hardly used these days.

Oh the thanks we owe to PEOPLE WHO DO NOT THROW THINGS AWAY!

Brenda.

Amen to that, Brenda!

Welsh-speaking quarrymen suggests they may have come from the slate-quarries around Blaenau FFestiniog, which gained fame long after WW2 as they had been the repository for the National Gallery's art collection and similar items.

Ron

At least two worked in the granite quarry at Trefor - my Grandfather and Hugh Bott, who was actually killed in a quarry accident after the war.

I've been told that the men from Blaenau had the dubious pleasure of being tunnelers, since many were used to underground work in slate mines.

Brenda.

If it's of any interest, an RE record of the quarries around Rinxent/Marquise states that by 1915 there were 40 Welshmen in one quarry: some of the quarries were worked by the British army, some by French and Belgian contractors. German prisoners were also used as labour.

There are also some photos of the RE officers supervising the quarries in 1918 in IWM collection.

Regards Peter

• 4 weeks later...

See similar thread on a specific quarryman from Trefor! What were the quarry products used for, and as the Trefor quarry was granite, and as my man was a sett layer; presumably the stone was used for road laying. Why would the RE want permanent road surfaces especially during the latter year of the war when events were far more fluid? Where was Rinxent?

The Rinxent quarries were granite too. The amount of road building and repair was enormous as the British Army had responsibility for the roads in their sector in France. There were a large number of Road Construction Companies RE at work, in addition to the Labour Corps (and infantry out of the line.)

Rinxent is just outside Calais.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Presumably they would have spent their service at the quarry.

Presumably they would have spent their service at the quarry.

Geraint,

Of the 13 Quarrying Companies, the vast majority spent their service there. At least three were elsewhere during the war and at least one moved elsewhere at the end of the war, but the absence of War Diaries means that there only glimpses of them from information in WO363. However, they were untrained for anything else, and the output of stone was a major requirement. The one War Diary at Kew is for 348 which was, in the main, away from the Marquise quarries, although they had a small detachment at the Marquise/Rinxent Quarries. In fact initially 348 was more akin to a Road Construction Company on arrival in France in 1917, as, as I recollect it, the vast majority of the men were on road work.

There were a number of quarries at Marquise, and they were admiinistered from some point in 1917(?)by HQ Group of Quarries, which was commanded by a Lt-Col.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi Brenda and all,

I realise I'm two years behind with this thread but that programme from Christmas 1918 sounds fascinating. My grandfather was a Sapper in the 320th Quarrying Company and didn't come back from France until 1919. He worked in the granite quarry at Penmaenmawr on the North Wales coast as did a lot of the men in the 320th I think. Their captain was a CS Darbishire who was a member of the family that owned the quarries at Penmaenmawr and Trefor. There is some material relating to the First World War quarrying activity in Northern France in the Darbishire Papers at Bangor University archives.

There is also some information about the movements of the quarrying companies at the Royal Engineers Museum library in Gillingham.

Cheers,

Gwyn

• 1 year later...

Hello Brenda, I have only just come across this post, and the mention of L/Cpl C [Charles] Sloane in the Christmas concert. I have a copy of his service record, and it shows he was in the 326 Quarrying Company. Is it possible to have a copy of the programme please. Cheers, Brian

• 5 months later...

Hi Brian,

My great grandfather was also in the 326th Quarry Co. Via 21st WY and probably 62nd Reserve Battery RFA at Ripon. He was transferred to Buxton on the 22 Feb 1917 and embarked with the BEF.

Pre war he was a quarry man and a plate layer so joining a quarry company makes sense. He also has a WR service number as well as RE number.

His name was Albert Proctor from Thackley W Yorks service number RE 262193 (WR no 29501) On other past posts I ve seen state that a majority of 326 were Welsh. He must have been a straggler!!

Do you have any idea of the movements of the 326th as to quote another post, their movements are "shrouded in mystery" and probably caught up in the German offensive of March 1918.

I find it also strange that he was able to advance in his trade skills as he was awarded his Skilled, Superior and V Superior trade awards whilst away if indeed he was away.

It would be great if you or anyone could shine any light on my enquiry.

• 8 months later...

Just been researching Lt Ralph Spencer RE and his service papers show him serving with 323 Quarrying Coy Re in France, His civil occupation was Quarry manager for 8 years prior to his enlistment/conscription in 1917. He was 42 yrs old at this date and 1911 census shows him as Civil Engineer living in Hounslow Middlesex.

Have found this thread very interesting. many thanks

Mike

• 9 years later...
On 01/12/2011 at 17:56, Guest gwyn said:

Hi Brenda and all,

I realise I'm two years behind with this thread but that programme from Christmas 1918 sounds fascinating. My grandfather was a Sapper in the 320th Quarrying Company and didn't come back from France until 1919. He worked in the granite quarry at Penmaenmawr on the North Wales coast as did a lot of the men in the 320th I think. Their captain was a CS Darbishire who was a member of the family that owned the quarries at Penmaenmawr and Trefor. There is some material relating to the First World War quarrying activity in Northern France in the Darbishire Papers at Bangor University archives.

There is also some information about the movements of the quarrying companies at the Royal Engineers Museum library in Gillingham.

Cheers,

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

My grandfather was also with the Penmaenmawr Royal Engineers. John William Owen (Sion Ox) from Llanfairfechan. His son Gareth was my dad. I have a photograph of him with his unit, I will load it up on here.

• Admin
3 hours ago, David Lloyd Owen said:

Hi Gwyn,

My grandfather was also with the Penmaenmawr Royal Engineers. John William Owen (Sion Ox) from Llanfairfechan. His son Gareth was my dad. I have a photograph of him with his unit, I will load it up on here.

Welcome to the GWF

By all means post the photograph but this is a very old thread and only a handful of the contributors are active on the forum.  The designation 'Guest' means that person is no longer a member and we hold no details for them.

Men of pennaenmawr quarry royal engineers. Most likely the 320th. My grandfather John William Owen is one of them if anybody can use his name to confirm this.

Screenshot_20240207_095347_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240415_231922_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, David Lloyd Owen said:

Men of pennaenmawr quarry royal engineers. Most likely the 320th. My grandfather John William Owen is one of them if anybody can use his name to confirm this.

Screenshot_20240207_095347_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240415_231922_Gallery.jpg

John William Owen on the right

Edited by David Lloyd Owen
Spelling

I wonder if we can get the image upright???

Screenshot.jpg.78499aa2779979be59625d734f4a10ce.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr